Black Bean Soup is a quick & easy, flavor-packed meal the whole family will love. Loaded with tomatoes, peppers, onions, cilantro, and seasonings, it makes a delicious addition to any menu… and it’s the perfect base for all your favorite toppings!
When it comes to dinner, I’m all about easy. The easier, the better, really… and this Black Bean Soup is as easy as it gets.
The secret? It’s made in a blender! Which not only makes it incredibly quick (and, of course, easy) but also gives it just the right texture… without having to do any of the work by hand!
Just add the ingredients to the blender and pulse it as much or as little as you like. No chopping or mincing or mashing required, and you can easily adjust the thickness according to your tastes.
The end result is a deliciously flavorful soup that packs a huge protein punch. And my absolute FAVORITE part about it? Everyone gets to choose their own toppings! Which means everyone is happy. Every time.
My only question? Why can’t every dinner be THIS EASY!?
The ingredients for this recipe are fairly straightforward. The only thing you may have trouble finding at your grocery store is the hatch pepper, in which case you can substitute an Anaheim, Cubanelle, or Poblano pepper in its place.
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 hatch pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (more to taste)
- juice of 1 lime
- garnishes: fresh jalapeños, cilantro, and avocado
Blender Soup is one of the BEST weeknight dinners because it’s literally so easy to make. Just pop the ingredients into the blender and you’re more than halfway there!
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Pulse or blend to desired consistency.
- Transfer to a saucepan and heat on medium, stirring occasionally, until soup is hot.
- Add an extra can of whole drained, rinsed black beans after blending
- Use fresh diced tomatoes instead of canned
- Add 1 minced jalapeño to the soup before blending
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of your favorite hot sauce
- Substitute green bell pepper for the hatch pepper
- Make it vegetarian by substituting vegetable broth for the chicken broth
- Add any of your favorite toppings: queso fresco, salsa, sour cream, pico de gallo, cilantro lime sauce, or tortilla strips
♨️ Storing & reheating
Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. To reheat, transfer it back to a saucepan and heat on medium for 10 – 15 minutes, stirring regularly.
🌮 More black bean recipes
I’m always looking for new ways to use black beans. Not only are they inexpensive and easy to work with, but they’re also low in calories and fat and a great source of protein! Here are some more of our favorite black bean recipes:
🍲 More soup recipes
If you love soup as much as we do, here are some more of our favorite recipes for you to try!
- Taco Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- White Bean Soup
- Creamy White Chicken Chili
- 5 Bean Turkey Chili
- White Cheddar Beer Cheese Soup
- Cheesy Cauliflower Soup
- Chicken Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 273Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 691mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 17gSugar: 4gProtein: 15g