Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken is sweet and smoky and slow cooked to perfection. This easy slow cooker recipe makes a great sandwich, and is perfect for family dinners, parties, game day, or anytime you're looking for something super easy & incredibly delicious!
Anyone who has spent any time with our family knows that, when it comes to sister relationships, the one between Greta and Nora has always been a bit of a challenge. I'm not sure if it's because they're both middle children, or because Greta tends to be sensitive, or because Nora really can be difficult to deal with....but whatever the reason, their relationship is definitely on the rocky side.
I can't tell you the number of times I've talked to them about being nice to one another or worried about their feelings toward one another long term....and for the most part, it feels a little like talking to a wall. Because for the most part, nothing ever changes. But then, every so often, they do a 180 and everything is completely different. At least momentarily.
This past weekend was one of those times. Ellia was gone on a Friday night sleepover, and since Myla goes to bed early, Greta and Nora only had each other. Of course, that can go one of two ways....but this time, at least, they decided to make the most of it. All weekend long they were playing together, coloring together, dressing as twins, eating the same foods, and referring to one another as "BFF" and "bestie". To the point where I actually had to remind them not to leave Ellia out. And you know what? It made ALL the difference. Life felt so much more peaceful, so much more relaxed. And even though I'm sure it won't last, I loved it while it did.
And I'm sure it sounds silly, but one of the things I loved most about it (aside from the peace and quiet) was how easy it felt to get Nora to eat. Because she wanted whatever Greta was having....and Greta was loving this Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken. In fact, she was eating it by the bowlful all weekend long....which meant that Nora was, too. And I totally can't blame them, because this Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken is AWESOME! It's sweet and sticky and slow cooked to perfection. Undoubtedly the best pulled chicken sandwich I've had (and I love me some pulled chicken)! Of course, I'd be willing to share it ALL if it meant a more harmonious household. But.....I'm not holding my breath for that.
- 3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- ¼ c. flour
- 2 c. pineapple juice
- ½ c. brown sugar, *edited from the original recipe, which called for 1 cup
- ¾ c. ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ tsp. worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. ginger
- Combine pineapple juice, brown sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, garlic, worcestershire sauce, and spices in a large measuring cup or mixing bowl. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated; set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onion and saute until onion begins to brown.
- Stir in ¼ c. flour.
- Add pineapple juice mixture to the skillet with the butter, onion and flour. Bring to a boil.
- Boil, stirring, 10-15 minutes or until sauce is thick.
- Place chicken in slow cooker and cover with sauce.
- Cook on low heat 8 hours.
- Shred the chicken using 2 large forks. Serve on sandwich rolls or as desired.
- *If sauce is not as thick as you'd like it to be, you can prop open the lid and let some additional liquid evaporate before shredding and serving. *Note: sauce will thicken further as it cools.
Based on readers' comments, I updated the recipe on 8/11/17 by increasing the cooking time on the sauce prior to adding it to the slow cooker.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 321Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 524mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 23gProtein: 36g