The Gin Fizz is a classic New Orleans cocktail, and this apple version is perfect for fall. A delicious combination of sweet apple cider, fresh lemon juice and gin with a touch of fizz and a frothy top, it’s a fun, easy cocktail that’s just in time for your next fall gathering!
Have you ever ordered a drink from a restaurant or bar that arrived with the most perfectly creamy, foamy top? And have you ever wondered how they made it that way!? The answer is simple: an egg white!
Yes, that’s right… adding eggs to shaken drinks is a tradition that dates back more than a century. Why? Because it gives cocktails a rich, creamy texture and a silky, foamy cap that can’t be replicated any other way!
The Gin Fizz is one of the most popular egg white cocktails, and while it’s a fun drink to order while you’re out, it’s also incredibly easy to make at home. All you need is a few simple ingredients, a cocktail shaker, and some muscle power… and you’re well on your way to a fun party cocktail your guests will rave about!
Not sure about the egg? No problem. You can make this Apple Gin Fizz exactly the same way and just leave the egg out. Of course, it won’t have the same luxurious, creamy texture… but what can I say? You can’t have it all!
A traditional Gin Fizz calls for dry gin, which is what I used in this recipe. I chose Tanqueray since it’s one of my favorites, but you can use any type of dry gin. For the apple juice, I absolutely love Tree Top 100% Pure Pressed Apple Juice. It’s made from Honeycrisp apples and has the BEST flavor. As an alternative, you could use any unfiltered apple juice or cider.
To add even more apple flavor, I made an easy apple simple syrup (see the “how to” below) but you can also substitute regular simple syrup or use superfine sugar. And since I had lemon flavored sparkling water on hand, I decided to use that instead of plain club soda.
As I mention below, the egg white is optional, but if you’re feeling at all adventurous I would highly recommend trying it!
- 2 ounces gin
- 1 ounce pure pressed apple juice
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup (I used apple simple syrup)
- 1 egg white (optional)
- 1 ounce club soda
The MOST important part of these instructions is the shaking. Shake vigorously for at least 30 seconds… then shake a little more for good measure! This will help create the foam that’s such an important part of a gin fizz.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add gin, apple juice, lemon juice, simple syrup, and egg white (optional).
- Shake vigorously for at least 30 seconds, until foamy.
- Strain into a glass and top with club soda.
🍏 How to make apple simple syrup
Grab an apple (I used Honeycrisp), a cup of sugar, and a cup of water. Slice the apple into thin slices and combine all 3 ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture a boil, then remove it from the heat, cover it, and let it cool.
🍐 Recipe variations
This is already a fairly adventurous drink, but if you’re feeling even more adventurous here are some fun twists:
- Substitute pear juice for apple juice
- Use regular simple syrup or 1/2 – 1 teaspoon superfine sugar in place of apple simple syrup
- Omit the egg white
- Make it a Sloe Gin Fizz by substituting sloe gin for regular gin (since it’s sweeter, you may want to omit the simple syrup)
- Make it a Diamond Fizz by substituting champagne for the club soda
- Make it a Golden Fizz by using the egg yolk instead of the white
- Make it a Royal Fizz by using the whole egg
📍 Pro tips
- To eliminate any of the dangers associated with raw eggs, use pasteurized eggs or egg whites from a carton
- Use pure pressed apple juice or apple cider
- For the best flavor, always use fresh lemon juice
- Shake your cocktail vigorously with ice for at least 30 seconds to allow the foam to develop
- Serve your cocktail in a tall glass to show off the beautiful foam
- Drink your cocktail right away… this isn’t one you can make in advance
🍹 Related recipes
- Boozy Butterscotch Hot Apple Cider
- Cranberry Apple Sangria
- Apple Pie Sangria
- Apple Moscow Mule
- Spiced Cranberry Apple Cider
- Sparkling Apple Cider Sangria
How to make apple simple syrup:
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 188Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 61mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 0gSugar: 10gProtein: 4g