Crispy, crunchy, flavor-packed Onion Rings… just like what you’d get at your favorite restaurant! This recipe is quick and easy, and so delicious you’ll never believe they’re made in an air fryer!
I partnered with Mirum to bring you this recipe, but all opinions are my own.
Onion Rings have always been one of my favorites and to say I’m excited about this air fryer version would be an understatement. They’re everything you’d expect from a restaurant – crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, and packed with amazing flavor – right in the comfort of your own kitchen. And best of all… they’re made without ANY oil!
But let’s be honest. As much as we all love onion rings, we don’t necessarily love the side effects that come with them. Namely… heartburn. There’s nothing worse than enjoying one of your favorite foods and then later regretting it.
Which is exactly where Meijer Omeprazole Orally Disintegrating Tablets come in. Meijer Omeprazole ODT is a proactive, daily approach to treating frequent heartburn with strawberry-flavored tablets that dissolve on your tongue. No water required! It provides 24-hour heartburn relief, which is perfect for frequent heartburn sufferers. You just take one dose proactively every 24 hours for up to 14 days, and you can go back to enjoying all your favorite foods.
And let’s be clear… these Air Fryer Onion Rings are bound to be on the list of favorites… guaranteed!
I used Vidalia onions, but if you can’t find Vidalia or prefer to use another sweet variety, feel free. I do find that sweet is better when it comes to onion rings as it has a milder, less pungent flavor.
- 2 medium Vidalia onions (approx. 1 pound total)
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- cooking spray
Slice the onions – Cut off both ends, then slice onions into 1/4 inch slices and separate the rings.
Coat the onion rings – Place the flour and beaten eggs in separate bowls. In a third bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan and seasonings and mix well. Dip the rings in the flour (shaking off excess), then in the eggs until completely coated. Let any excess drip off, then dip in the breadcrumb mixture to coat. Place coated onion rings on a wire rack or a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Spray the tops with cooking spray.
Fry them up – Spray air fryer basket with olive oil using an oil mister (**do NOT use aerosol cooking spray, as it can damage the inside of the basket**). Working in batches, transfer onion rings to the air fryer. Cook at 375° F for 6-8 minutes. Remove from the basket and continue with the next batch.
🌶 Recipe variations
Looking to mix things up? Here are some fun ways to make this recipe your own:
- Add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the breadcrumbs or a squeeze of your favorite hot sauce to the eggs
- Cut the rings to desired thickness (thinner rings will require less cooking time)
- Use regular or seasoned breadcrumbs in place of panko crumbs
- For a thicker coating, dip the onion rings in the flour and egg, then repeat before dipping them in the breadcrumbs
- Make them dairy-free by omitting the Parmesan cheese
- Add any of your favorite seasonings to the breadcrumb mixture
📍 Tips for success
- Use 2 smaller onions instead of one larger onion for more reasonably sized rings.
- For the best flavor, choose a Vidalia or other sweet variety of onion.
- Take your time with each step of coating, especially the egg step. Make sure no flour is showing, or the breadcrumbs won’t stick.
- Use a separate fork to dip onion rings into each bowl (flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs). Using a fork instead of your fingers will keep things cleaner and make the coating process easier.
- For the crispiest onion rings, use panko breadcrumbs every time!
- Think twice before omitting the Parmesan cheese. It adds a delicious nutty flavor to the onion rings.
♨️ Storing & reheating
Leftover onion rings can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. To reheat, return them to the air fryer at 350° F for 3-4 minutes and they’ll crisp right up!
🍗 Related recipes
I’m all about air fryer snacks… and, of course, sauces! These are some of our favorites!
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- Air Fryer Shrimp
- Air Fryer Cheese Curds
- Air Fryer Pork Chops
**Use as directed for 14 days to treat frequent heartburn (occurring 2 or more days a week). May take 1-4 days for full effect. Not intended for immediate relief.**
Tips for success:
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 181Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 550mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 8g
Tips for success: