Take summer grilling to the next level with these delicious Queso Burgers!
Thick, juicy pub burgers topped with crispy bacon, sliced avocado, red onion, fresh jalapeño, and the BEST easy queso sauce.
These burgers are perfect for Father’s Day, 4th of July, or weekend grilling. No extra condiments necessary! If you love queso…and a little bit of spice…these Queso Burgers are sure to become a new favorite!
I partnered with Pick ‘n Save to bring you this recipe. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Lemon Tree Dwelling possible!
You guys. I am SO ready for summer grilling.
Not gonna lie…it’s been a rather cold, rainy, dreary spring around here. And although we’ve had a couple days of grill-worthy weather, for the most part, we’re still in waiting. Which can only mean one thing: the best is yet to come!
And when that warm weather finally does makes its way here to Wisconsin? You better believe I’ll be making non-stop Queso Burgers. Because….homemade QUESO!!! And not only queso, but bacon…and avocado…and jalapeños…and the most delicious juicy pub burgers from Pick ‘n Save.
We love Pick ‘n Save’s burger selection – from regular pub burgers to Pepper Jack & Bacon, Mushroom Swiss, Bacon & Bleu Cheese, Cheddar, and more. They make grilling so incredibly easy, and when you shop at Pick ‘n Save, it’s easy to find everything you need for these delicious Queso Burgers.
And the best thing about this recipe? It comes with a homemade queso recipe you can make again and again and again. Because it’s that easy….and definitely that good.
WHAT IS QUESO?
Chile con queso, often referred to just as queso, is an appetizer of melted cheese and chili peppers often served in Tex-Mex restaurants as a dip for tortilla chips.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN QUESO?
- White American Cheese (available in the Pick ‘n Save deli)
- diced green chiles (canned)
- red pepper flakes
- garlic salt
CAN YOU SUBSTITUTE A DIFFERENT TYPE OF CHEESE?
The easiest way to substitute the cheese in this recipe is to swap the white American cheese with regular American or Velveeta cheese. You can also make queso using shredded cheddar cheese, but the recipe will be different.
CAN YOU USE JARRED JALAPENOS?
Yes! I love the flavor and crunch of fresh jalapeños, but you can definitely substitute mild or hot pickled (jarred) jalapeno slices. If you are concerned about the spiciness of fresh jalapeños, feel free to remove the seeds, which will significantly cut down on the heat.
WHAT IF YOU DON’T HAVE A GRILL?
You can still make these Queso Burgers even without a grill. (No need to wait for grill-worthy weather!) Check out these 7 Tips for Cooking a Burger Without a Grill.
TIPS FOR MAKING EASY QUESO:
- Cut the cheese into small cubes for easier melting
- Keep the heat low heat and stir regularly
- Adjust spices according to your tastes
- Add milk to queso to adjust the thickness
- Keep covered until you are ready to serve
- To re-heat queso, slowly add milk and stir constantly over low heat
TIPS FOR QUESO BURGER RECIPE:
It can be tricky to time out all the different elements of a recipe. Here are my best tips:
- Pre-slice onion, jalapeños, avocado, and hamburger buns
- Heat the grill
- Cook the bacon first, or make it in the oven while the burgers are grilling
- Put the burgers on the grill
- While burgers are grilling, prepare the queso
- Keep the queso covered and on low heat (or turn the heat off entirely) while the burgers finish up
- Assemble and enjoy!
Looking for other fun additions to these Queso Burgers?
Don’t forget the drinks!
- 4 Pub Burgers (Found in the service meat case at Pick ‘n Save or Metro Market)
- 4 hamburger bakery buns
- 8 slices Roundy’s bacon
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- ½ small red onion, sliced
- ½ lb. White American Cheese, cubed (Found in the deli at Pick ‘n Save or Metro Market)
- ¼ c. Roundy’s milk
- ½ Tbsp. butter
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp. garlic salt
1. Cook bacon until crispy. Set aside.
2. Heat grill; grill burgers over med-high heat to desired temperature.
3. While burgers are grilling, prepare queso by combining cheese, milk, and butter in a medium saucepan. Heat over med-low heat, stirring regularly, until cheese is completely melted.
4. Reduce heat to low; add diced green chiles, cumin, red pepper flakes, and garlic salt.
5. Add additional milk as needed until queso reaches desired consistency.
6. Remove burgers from grill.
7. Assemble burgers by topping each one with cooked bacon, sliced avocado, sliced red onion, sliced jalapeno, and queso.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1548 Total Fat: 85g Saturated Fat: 34g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 42g Cholesterol: 342mg Sodium: 2857mg Carbohydrates: 98g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 5g Protein: 97g