These BBQ Chicken Baked Sweet Potatoes are the best combination of savory & sweet! Loaded with shredded bbq chicken, melted cheese, avocado, cilantro, and crispy onion strings, they’re a delicious break from the dinnertime rut!
As you may or may not know, I recently took a trip. With some of my best blogging friends. To San Francisco! And it was amazing. We toured the city, ate so much delicious food, enjoyed one another’s company, and, of course, talked about anything and everything under the sun. Including, but definitely not limited to, blogging.
And…for 3 days straight, I was in charge of nobody but myself. With barely a schedule to keep. Which meant I was free to stay up late and….[wait for it]….sleep in. For the first time in FOREVER! You better believe I loved every second of it.
I have to tell you, though. Something interesting happened. And maybe even more interesting is the fact that I took note it…which must mean it rarely happens. I had DREAMS. As in active dreams! Ones that felt fresh and vivid when I woke up each morning. Which either means that I was finally getting enough sleep to dream….or to remember my dreams….or that I was finally doing something interesting enough that my brain needed to process it while I slept. Ha!
I’m only partially kidding, because honestly? Being in San Francisco made me realize just how boring my day to day existence is. In a very comfortable, wouldn’t trade it for the world kind of way. I mean….I wouldn’t trade it, but I could probably get out of the house more, you know?
But until that happens, I can always make things more interesting at home. And if you ask me, dinner is a great place to start! I don’t know about you, but I am constantly getting into a dinnertime rut. Where all that anyone (including myself) is interested in making or eating is pizza, mac & cheese, and tuna melts. But you know what? I’m bound and determined to change that. Starting with these BBQ Chicken Baked Sweet Potatoes! I adore sweet potatoes, and I especially adore them with bbq chicken. But when you top that with cheese, avocado, cilantro, and crispy onion strings, you have yourself a dinner that’s anything but boring. It’s delicious! And interesting! And easy! Not to mention, these BBQ Chicken Baked Sweet Potatoes would be perfect game day grub, too. And, speaking of game day, if you watch the game with other people, it totally counts as getting out of the house. So that’s a win…and so are these BBQ Chicken Baked Sweet Potatoes!
Speaking of wins, I’ve totally fallen in love with the Hampton Forge flatware you’ve been seeing in my photos lately. If you’ve fallen in love with it, too, here’s where you can find a set of your own!
- 2 large or 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 3 c. shredded chicken
- ¾ c. bbq sauce
- ½ c. shredded cheese (I used colby jack)
- 1 small avocado, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- crispy onion strings, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise.
- Place in a shallow baking span, open side up, with ¼ c. water. Cover pan with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes - 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven; scoop out ¼ c. flesh per potato.
- In a separate bowl, combine shredded chicken and bbq sauce.
- Spoon bbq chicken into sweet potatoes; top with shredded cheese.
- Return to oven (foil optional) and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top with avocado, cilantro, crispy onion strings, and additional bbq sauce as desired.