These French Bread Tacos combine all the taco flavors you love with the delicious, crusty bread you can't get enough of! Perfect for game day or an easy weeknight dinner!
So do you remember back in the day, when "fat free" was all the rage? And we were all going around "indulging" in fat free salad dressing, fat free cheese, and even fat free potato chips? (YIKES....!) I'm pretty sure it was around the time I was in high school, and I definitely climbed right on board.
And instead of eating meat or cheese or anything with fat....I downed giant bagels from Big Apple and baskets of bread with my dinner salad and entire bags of WOW Chips. You know....the fat free ones that were utterly disgusting?! Yep, those. Because....fat free. Obviously.
Oh, the fun of fad diets. These days, of course, it's pretty much opposite. Because now we know that some fat is good....and that too much bread is not. And I do my best to follow that. But....CARBS! I still love them! Bread? It's still the best. French Bread Tacos? Well, let's just say they're an absolute no brainer. Born from a love of bread. And tacos. And all things delicious.
And when you scoop out the center of the bread, to make room for the meat, it's like the perfect balance! Of flavors and textures and food types. And for some reason (the bread) French Bread Tacos feel like such a treat. In a way that regular tacos just can't. And the thing I love most about them? You can personalize them in every way imaginable. From the meat to the toppings to the type of seasoning (I used homemade) these French Bread Tacos are sure to become a new family favorite. And a game day favorite, too! And best of all? You can feel free to serve them with regular chips. Because now....we know better.
French Bread Tacos
- French Bread 1 large loaf, 2 small loaves, or 3-4 mini loaves
- 1 lb. ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 package taco seasoning or homemade taco seasoning recipe below
- 1 c. shredded cheese
- 1/2 c. shredded lettuce
- 1/2 c. chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 c. sliced black olives
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare bread by removing the center of each loaf, leaving approx. 1 inch around.
- In a medium skillet, brown meat. Add seasoning and water; simmer 5 minutes.
- Fill bread loaves with meat and cheese.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven; top with lettuce, tomatoes, black olives, cilantro, and sour cream.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Tbsp. chili powder
- tsp. cumin
- tsp. coriander
- /2 tsp. oregano
- /2 tsp. salt
- /2 tsp. garlic powder
- /2 tsp. onion powder
- /8 - 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- *Add to browned meat with 3/4 c. water.