Fettuccine Alfredo is one of my family’s all time favorites, and this homemade version is the BEST. Made with just 4 simple ingredients, it literally couldn’t be easier to make… and when it comes to flavor, there’s no comparison. If your family loves Alfredo as much as mine does, they’ll go crazy for this easy from-scratch recipe!
There are some meals that get the stamp of approval in our family. Every. Single. Time. And Fettuccine Alfredo is one of them!
My kids LOVE anything with noodles… and you can’t go wrong with a creamy sauce… so it comes as no surprise that this has been one of our most requested dinner recipes for as long as I can remember.
What might come as a surprise, though?! Up until recently, I was still making it with store bought sauce. I know… I know… can I really even call myself a food blogger!?!?
The truth is, I never knew JUST how easy it is to make homemade Alfredo sauce. There’s almost nothing easier! Just 3 ingredients and 5 minutes… and you have the BEST tasting sauce you can imagine. Once you give it a try, I guarantee you’ll NEVER go store bought again!
The very best thing about this recipe is that it’s made with 4 ingredients, plus salt and pepper. It doesn’t get better than that! Here’s what you’ll need to grab from the store:
- 1 lb. fettuccine noodles
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) salted butter
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 8 ounces freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook noodles – Boil noodles according to package instructions. Be sure to reserve 1/2 c. water after boiling in case you want to add it to your sauce.
- Prepare sauce – Combine butter, heavy cream, salt and pepper in a large skillet. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until butter is melted. Stir in 1 1/2 c. grated Parmesan. Cook until cheese is completely melted; remove from heat.
- Combine noodles & sauce – Stir cooked noodles into sauce. Add additional 1/2 c. cheese. If sauce is too thick, slowly stir in reserved pasta water until it reaches desired consistency.
- Garnish – Garnish with fresh parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste.
🥦 Recipe variations
Fettuccine Alfredo is one of those recipes that makes a great base for other ingredients. These are some easy ways to mix things up from time to time:
- Add cooked chicken to make Chicken Alfredo
- Add 1-2 c. cooked broccoli to the finished dish
- Add red peppers or sun dried tomatoes to the sauce
- Stir fresh spinach into the sauce until wilted
- Add 1 c. sliced, sauteed mushrooms
- Add a kick of spice with 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper and/or crushed red pepper flakes
🧀 Alfredo sauce without cream
Traditional Alfredo sauce is made with just butter and Parmesan cheese… no cream! My family prefers the creamy version, but to make it without, simply follow these instructions:
- Cook noodles according to package instructions. Reserve 1 c. pasta water.
- Stir in butter and grated cheese; add pasta water slowly until sauce reaches desired consistency.
♨️ Storing & reheating
Leftovers (if there are any!) can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. To reheat, transfer them to a medium skillet and add 2 Tbsp. heavy cream or milk. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring often and adding more liquid as necessary.
🍝 Related recipes
We’re always on the lookout for new easy pasta recipes, and these are some of our favorites!
- Penne with Mushrooms & Bacon
- Spring Vegetable Gnocchi
- Pesto Chicken Pasta
- Mushroom Marsala Gnocchi
- Spinach Artichoke Tortellini
- Sausage & Pepper Linguine
- Pesto Caprese Gnocchi
- 16 ounces fettuccine noodles
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook noodles according to package instructions. (*reserve 1/2 c. water after boiling)
- Combine butter, heavy cream, salt and pepper in a large skillet. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until butter is melted. Stir in 1 1/2 c. grated Parmesan. Cook until cheese is completely melted; remove from heat.
- Stir cooked noodles into sauce. Add additional 1/2 c. cheese. If sauce is too thick, slowly stir in reserved pasta water until it reaches desired consistency.
- Garnish with fresh parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste.
If you like your pasta extra saucy, go ahead and make more sauce! Here are the measurements I'd suggest:
1 1/2 sticks butter
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
3 cups grated Parmesan
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 429Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 1014mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 16g