Jalapeño Popper Wonton Cups are one of our favorite appetizers!
These delicious little bites are loaded with bacon, jalapeños, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and sour cream....all in a crispy wonton shell.
They come together quickly and make the perfect appetizer for parties or game days. If you're a fan of jalapeño poppers, you'll LOVE this delicious wonton twist!
Is it just me....or does it feel like January is flying by? Seriously! It feels like just yesterday that we were ringing in the New Year, watching the ball drop, having confetti dumped all over our living room (which, by the way, we are still finding to this day....)
And now, we're less than two weeks away from the Super Bowl....which can only mean one thing: time for ALL the game day recipes!! At the top of our list? These Jalapeño Popper Wonton Cups.
These easy game day appetizers are loaded with all the flavors of jalapeño poppers - cream cheese, bacon, jalapeños, and cheese - and baked inside a crispy wonton shell. They can be prepped in advance and baked in no time, and they're almost guaranteed to be the hit of any party.
You better believe they'll be on our Super Bowl menu and probably on every game day menu from this point forward. Truth be told, I plan on making these Jalapeño Popper Wonton Cups as often as I possibly can. They're just THAT good.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN THIS RECIPE?
- Wonton wrappers
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
HOW DO YOU MAKE JALAPENO POPPER WONTON CUPS?
- Start with wonton wrappers and a greased 12-cup muffin pan. You can find wonton wrappers in the produce section of your local grocery store.
- Press wonton wrappers gently into muffin pan and pre-bake. This step is essential to ensure crispy (not soggy) wonton cups.
- Prepare filling by mixing ingredients together. At this point you can either refrigerate the filling for later or use it right away by spooning it into pre-baked wonton cups. (*If you plan to save it for later, be sure to store your baked wonton cups in an airtight container.)
- Bake filled wonton cups until golden brown; garnish as desired.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator and re-heat in the oven.
WHAT KIND OF FILLINGS CAN I PUT IN WONTON CUPS?
The short answer is....anything! Wonton cups are the perfect little wrappers for so many flavors. I like to use a combination of cream cheese, sour cream, and any of the following:
- cream cheese
- ground beef
- crab meat
TO MAKE THIS RECIPE IN ADVANCE:
- Pre-cook and crumble the bacon
- Mince the jalapeño
- Mix the filling and refrigerate separately until ready to use
- Pre-bake the wonton shells and store them in an airtight container until ready to use
- Once ready to serve, spoon the filling into the pre-baked cups and bake according to recipe instructions
To reheat leftover wonton cups, place them on a metal baking sheet and heat them in the oven at 350° for 15 minutes or until heated through. If over-browning is a concern, you can alternately place them in a 9x13 inch pan and cover with foil.
OTHER VARIATIONS ON THIS RECIPE:
- Replace the bacon with crumbled sausage or ham
- Add crumbled blue cheese
- Substitute flavored cream cheese for plain cream cheese
- Add chopped red peppers
- Add chopped onions
If you're looking for more Wonton Cup Recipes, you might like these:
- Southwest Chicken Wonton Cups
- Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups
- Crab Wonton Cups
- BBQ Chicken Wonton Cups
- Mini Apple Pie Wonton Cups
And here are some more of our favorite appetizer ideas!
- 12 wonton wrappers, *I found them in the produce section of my local grocery store
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 12 oz. bacon, cooked & crumbled (reserve 2 Tbsp.)
- 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese, reserve 2 Tbsp.
- 3-4 jalapeños, seeded and chopped (**for more spice, do not remove all the seeds)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Place one wonton wrapper in each muffin cup; bake 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, stir together cream cheese, sour cream, bacon, cheddar cheese, and chopped jalapeños.
- Spoon filling into wonton cups, then sprinkle with reserved bacon and cheese.
- Return to oven and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes, until wontons are golden brown and cheese is melted.