This creamy Pistachio Lush Dessert is one of our family’s favorites! Layers of cheesecake, whipped cream, and pistachio pudding are combined with a delicious graham cracker crust and topped with chopped nuts. This easy pistachio pudding dessert can be made ahead and is perfect for feeding a crowd!
You’ll especially love it for holidays like St. Patrick’s Day, Easter, or even Christmas, but this Pistachio Lush is a great dessert recipe for any occasion. If you love cheesecake, this easy lush dessert takes it to the next level. Sure to become a family favorite!
WHAT IS LUSH DESSERT?
Lush dessert is essentially a layered dessert that consists of a graham cracker or cookie crust, a layer of no-bake cheesecake, some type of pudding, and whipped cream. Other names for it include dessert lasagna, icebox dessert, and layered pudding dessert.
It gets its name from the word LUSH, which means “very rich and providing great sensory pleasure”. Once you try lush dessert, you’ll agree this is the perfect description!
I’ll never forget the first time I tried lush dessert. It was at a summer picnic, with family and friends, and the minute I took my first bite I was in heaven. The flavor was banana, which I’m always a sucker for, and it tasted like banana cream pie but 10 times more amazing.
And ever since then? I’ve been obsessed with trying different flavors. First it was Strawberries & Cream Lush in summer and then it was Cherry Cheesecake Lush for the holidays. And since I clearly need a go-to lush recipe for all seasons, in fall it was Caramel Apple Lush that stole my heart.
And even though I wasn’t really looking for a spring lush dessert recipe, I kind of fell into this one inadvertently. By offering to make a birthday dessert for Greta’s teacher, who told me that Pistachio Lush is his all-time FAVORITE!
HOW DO YOU MAKE LUSH DESSERT?
- Start with a graham cracker or cookie crust. There are many different variations, but for this recipe you’re going to combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter and press them firmly into the bottom of a 9×13 inch pan. Bake it for 10 minutes, then be sure it’s cooled completely before adding more layers.
- Make your cheesecake layer by combining room temperature cream cheese and thawed whipped topping in a medium mixing bowl. Mix them together until smooth, then spread them evenly over your crust.
- Prepare the pudding layer by combining your pudding mix and milk in a separate bowl. Be sure to let it thicken before spreading it on top of the cheesecake layer.
- Cover with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate 2 hours or longer to let the layers firm up.
- Before serving, top with remaining whipped topping and chopped nuts. Then…enjoy!
WHAT ARE SOME DIFFERENT VARIATIONS OF LUSH DESSERT?
There are so many different ways you can mix things up when it comes to making this dessert. For example, you can use Oreos, nuts, or even peanut butter in the crust. You can use any flavor of pudding, and you can even add fresh fruit, pie filling, chocolate chips, or anything else your heart desires. The sky is the limit!
Pistachio Lush Dessert
This creamy Pistachio Lush Dessert is one of our family's favorites! Layers of cheesecake, whipped cream, and pistachio pudding are combined with a delicious graham cracker crust and topped with chopped nuts. This easy pistachio pudding dessert can be made ahead and is perfect for feeding a crowd!
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 16 oz. whipped topping, divided
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 small boxes pistachio flavored pudding mix
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
In a medium mixing bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and granulated sugar.
Press firmly into the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan. This crust can either be baked or no-bake. *For a baked crust, bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes, then refrigerate until cooled to room temperature. *For a no-bake crust, simply refrigerate at least 1 hour until firm.
In a separate mixing bowl, combine 2 cups whipped topping, cream cheese, and powdered sugar. Mix until smooth and creamy; spread over cooled crust.
Combine pudding mix and milk; whisk until smooth and let stand 5-10 minutes to thicken. Spread pudding over cheesecake mixture.
Cover tightly with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate 2 hours or until ready to serve.
Before serving, top with remaining whipped topping and chopped nuts.
Cover and refrigerate leftovers.