Candied Walnuts are a deliciously sweet, crunchy combo that’s also incredibly addictive. They’re one of our favorite snacks and make a delicious addition to salads, cheese boards, or desserts!
There’s nothing quite like the smell of oven roasted nuts… and when they’re roasted in a delicious mixture of cinnamon, sugar, and vanilla… it’s nothing short of heavenly.
They’re perfect for snacking on (just beware – they really are addictive!) but my all time favorite way to use them is in salads.
There’s something about the savory, sweet, crunchy combo that takes any salad to the next level. And even though they’re incredibly easy to make, they always feel like an extra special treat!
If you’ve had candied walnuts before, this recipe is exactly what you’re looking for. And if you’ve never tried them… this recipe is about to change your life! Enjoy!!
- 16 ounces walnuts (halves & pieces)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300° F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together egg whites, water, and vanilla extract.
- Pour walnuts into egg mixture and toss to coat.
- Pour coated walnuts into sugar mixture and mix well.
- Spread walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 300° for 20 minutes. Stir; then bake for another 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven; set pan aside to cool.
- Once cooled, break walnuts apart and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
🌶 Recipe variations
- Use a combination of white and brown sugar
- Add additional spices such as ground nutmeg or ginger
- Substitute almond extract for the vanilla
- Add a dash of cayenne pepper for a spicy sweet combo
- Use a variety of nuts instead of just walnuts
- Add more salt for a salty sweet combo
🥗 How to use them
- Beet Salad
- Waldorf Salad
- Triple Berry Salad
- Summer Strawberry Salad
- Apple Walnut Salad
- Strawberry Bacon Blue Cheese Salad
- Apple Brie Salad
- Blackberry Bacon Blue Cheese Salad
- Winter Salad
🥜 Related recipes
- Cinnamon Honey Roasted Almonds
- Rosemary Olive Oil Roasted Almonds
- Ginger Sesame Snack Mix
- Banana Bread Granola
- Harvest Granola
- Cranberry Almond Joy Granola Bars
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 158Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 93mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 3g