Beet Salad is a deliciously savory sweet combination that’s popular on many restaurant menus. This recipe combines fresh beets with candied walnuts, crumbled goat cheese, green onions, and homemade balsamic vinaigrette in a simple salad that’s absolute perfection!
There are certain things I look for at every restaurant I go to… and Beet Salad is one of them.
There’s something about the combination of fresh mixed greens with earthy red beets and goat cheese that I find irresistible… and I’ve tried enough to know that there are countless ways to make it.
My favorite way? With candied walnuts, of course. And when you add in homemade balsamic vinaigrette… it’s one of the most delicious salads ever!
The ingredient list for this recipe is short, but can be time consuming depending. I used fresh beets, but you can also purchase pre-cooked beets in the produce section at some grocery stores. I also candied the walnuts myself (instructions included) but you may be able to buy candied walnuts at your grocery store.
- 8 oz. spring mix lettuce
- 4 beets
- 1 cup walnuts or candied walnuts
- 3.5 oz. crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 c. sliced green onion
- Balsamic vinaigrette to taste
1. Prepare beets – Remove stems, leaving one inch. Place beets in a large pot and add enough water to cover by one inch. Bring to a boil. Boil, covered, for 40-50 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Once cool, peel the skin and cut beets into cubes for the salad.
2. Prepare candied walnuts – In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon salt. Set aside. In a separate bowl, combine 2 egg whites, 2 teaspoons water, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and whisk together. Pour 16 ounces walnuts into the egg mixture and toss to coat. Then pour the walnuts into the sugar mixture and toss to coat. Spread walnuts out on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 300° for 35-40 minutes, stirring halfway through. (Get my complete Candied Walnut recipe here!)
3. Assemble the salad – Pour spring mix into a large salad bowl. Add beets, goat cheese, green onions, and candied walnuts. Drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette as desired.
🥓 Recipe variations
If you ask me, this salad is completely perfect as is. Of course, there’s always room for variation, especially when it comes to salads. Here are some of our favorite ideas for mixing it up:
- Substitute baby spinach, butter lettuce, or any greens
- Use a combination of red and golden beets
- Substitute pecans, almonds, pine nuts, or pepitas for the candied walnuts
- Replace green onion with sliced red onion
- Substitute blue cheese or feta for the goat cheese
- Top with any favorite salad dressing
- Add 1/2 cup cooked, crumbled bacon
- Add 1/3 cup dried cranberries or golden raisins
🥗 Related recipes
- Triple Berry Salad
- Cranberry Apple Pecan Salad
- Summer Strawberry Salad
- Apple Walnut Salad
- Pear, Walnut & Gorgonzola Salad
- Cherry Almond Arugula Salad
- Strawberry Bacon Blue Cheese Salad
- Blueberry Feta Salad
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 155Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 131mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 6g
leave a reply