Apple Cranberry Coleslaw is the perfect way to mix things up for fall! Loaded with fresh apples, dried cranberries, chopped walnuts, and green onions, this coleslaw is crunchy, sweet, and so delicious!
So today’s the first day of school. And three of mine are going! We have a 5th grader, a 3rd grader, and a kindergartener this year….which means it’s just Myla and me left at home. SUCH a strange feeling. I’ve been waiting for this day for a while now (if you’ve been following me I’m sure you know that) but now that it’s here, I have to admit….I’m not exactly sure what to do with it!
It doesn’t help that Nora got on the bus *literally* kicking and screaming, which leaves me worried about her day in general. And it doesn’t help that we missed “meet & greet” last night, which would have been a key time to make her feel more comfortable about the whole school thing.
But alas, it is what it is. Nora needs to start school and work through her fears. Greta needs to face her friendship concerns and learn to stand up for herself. And Ellia? Well, I’m not too worried about Ellia. She seems to have a great first day every year. So now the question is: how are Myla and I going to spend our days!?
I’m envisioning some reading, some playing, some going to the park, and….soon….some fun fall activities! Like pumpkin farms and apple picking! Which will make for some delicious Apple Cranberry Coleslaw. You know me and my love of salads….and just because summer is coming to an end doesn’t mean that salad season is over! I love how this coleslaw combines a summer classic with two fall flavors – apples and cranberries – for a quick and easy side dish that moves us right from one season to the next.
I see myself making this for Labor Day, fall cookouts, football games, and even holidays. It’s fresh, it’s seasonal, and with all the different colors, I love how bright and beautiful it is! Apple Cranberry Coleslaw for the win! Now here’s hoping the first day of school is a win, too.
how to make the best apple cranberry coleslaw
I love how this coleslaw combines a summer classic with two fall flavors – apples and cranberries – for a quick and easy side dish that moves us right from one season to the next.
Make Ahead Tip
This recipe is easy to make ahead for stress-free entertaining! To do so, combine the ingredients as directed, wrap in plastic wrap, and store in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- Use freshly shredded cabbage in place of coleslaw mix
- Substitute broccoli slaw for coleslaw
- Add or substitute sliced pears
- Use any type of apple (Granny Smith, Gala, or Golden Delicious would all work well)
- Add your favorite crumbled cheese (feta, goat cheese, or blue cheese)
- Use any type of chopped nuts in place of walnuts
- Omit nuts
- 1 14 oz. bag 3-color coleslaw mix
- 1 large apple, chopped
- 1/2 c. dried cranberries
- 1/2 c. chopped walnuts
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 3/4 c. lowfat mayo
- 3/4 c. plain yogurt or sour cream
- 6 Tbsp. honey
- 3/4 tsp. dried, ground ginger
- Combine coleslaw ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients and mix well.
- Pour dressing over coleslaw and stir until evenly coated.
- *For a less creamy coleslaw, use 1/2 c. mayo, 1/2 c. plain yogurt, 1/4 c. honey, and 1/2 tsp. ginger.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 187Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 197mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 20gProtein: 2g