Mango Lassis are a rich, creamy drink made with yogurt, fresh mango, and a pinch of cardamom. Like a mango smoothie… but even better!
If you’ve ever been to an Indian restaurant, you’ve definitely heard of a Mango Lassi. It’s a classic… and for good reason! It’s sweet, creamy, and packed with delicious mango flavor. And for me… it’s a must.
The first time I tried a lassi (a yogurt-based drink that originated in India) was back in college, on my first visit to an Indian restaurant with a friend. He insisted I try it… and the rest is history. It’s the perfect creamy complement to the spices in Indian food. And it’s just so delicious.
It’s a bit like a smoothie – yes. But if you ask me, it’s even better. Because it’s not as thick or sweet as smoothies can tend to be, and there’s something about the cardamom that takes it to the next level.
I decided to add a pinch of cinnamon for extra flavor, and although it’s not a true substitute for cardamom, you can make it with just cinnamon if you’d like.
Best of all, it’s so incredibly easy to make… it can become your new favorite, too!
The key to flavor in this recipe is the mango! I used very ripe fresh mango (which I would recommend) but you can also use canned mango pulp when fresh is not in season.
For the yogurt, I used regular (not Greek) for a lighter consistency. And I used 2% milk simply because that’s what I have at home.
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup fresh cubed mango
- 1/2 cup milk (I used 2%)
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
This drink couldn’t be easier to make. Just combine all the ingredients and blend until smooth!
- Combine ingredients in a blender; blend until smooth.
- Pour into two glasses and garnish with a sprinkle of cardamom.
🍓 Recipe variations
The nice thing about making food at home is that it’s easy to make adjustments according to your specific tastes! Here are some ideas for personalizing this recipe:
- Use a combination of fruits, including mango and strawberry, blueberry, or raspberry
- Omit the cardamom and double the cinnamon
- Substitute vanilla yogurt for plain yogurt
- Use Greek yogurt for a protein boost
- Make a yogurt-only lassi by removing the milk
- Use granulated sugar or maple syrup in place of honey
- Top with whipped cream and cinnamon
- Make it vegan by using dairy-free yogurt and almond milk
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator and should be eaten as quickly as possible, within 1-2 days.
🍹 Related recipes
As I mentioned above, Mango Lassis are a bit like a smoothie, but better. Here are some other favorite smoothie recipes:
- Mango Berry Smoothie
- Pineapple Peach Mango Green Smoothie
- Berry Lime Smoothie
- Blueberry Pie Smoothie
- Lemon Raspberry Smoothie
- Tropical Smoothie
- Banana Colada Smoothie
- Vanilla Green Tea Smoothie
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 218Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 113mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 2gSugar: 37gProtein: 9g