Roasted Red Pepper Soup with a delicious curry kick. This soup is easy to make (in a blender!) and has the BEST flavor and texture. Sure to be a favorite!
When it comes to soup, are you a winter only person or do you enjoy it all year round? I'm usually a winter only kind of person, but I have to say... there's something about this Roasted Red Pepper Soup that I could DEFINITELY get into any time of year.
Because it's nice and light, which makes it perfect for summer, but it has just the right amount of creaminess for fall and winter. Plus... it's made with jarred roasted red peppers, which are easy to find all year round!
But the VERY best thing about this soup? Hands down the spices! Seasoned with a simple blend of garlic cloves, curry powder, and cayenne pepper, it's incredibly flavorful with just the right amount of kick!
What we love about this soup
Not only is this soup packed with amazing curry flavor, which is different than a lot of roasted red pepper soups, but it's also SO easy to make. Aside from sautéeing onions and garlic, the entire recipe is made in a blender. Which means no fussing over a hot stove and no worrying about when to add the ingredients. And it's ready in 15 minutes or less!
What do you need for Roasted Red Pepper Soup?
Roasted red peppers - I used 2 jars of fire roasted red bell peppers, which can be found in the Italian food aisle at your local grocery store. You can also roast your own peppers if you prefer.
Chicken broth - 2 cups of chicken broth forms the base of this soup. I used regular (not low sodium) broth. You could also substitute vegetable broth to make this a vegetarian dish.
Buttermilk - 1 cup of buttermilk gives this recipe just the right amount of creaminess and balance. You can also substitute regular milk or even half and half if you have those on hand.
Onion & Garlic - I added 1 medium yellow onion and 2 cloves of garlic for extra flavor and texture.
Butter - Just 1 Tablespoon of butter is all you need... just enough to sauté the onion and garlic.
Seasonings - For seasonings I used 1 Tablespoon of curry powder, ½ teaspoon of salt, and ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Feel free to add more cayenne for extra kick!
How to make Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Sauté the onions and garlic - Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add diced onions and minced garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the seasonings and sauté for 2-3 minutes more.
Combine all ingredients in a blender - Combine all the ingredients, including the onions and garlic, in a blender and blend until smooth.
Heat in a saucepan - Pour the blended mixture back into the saucepan, heat to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer 5-10 minutes.
Garnish & enjoy - Garnish with sour cream and chives. Enjoy!
- Substitute vegetable broth to make it vegetarian
- Add additional sautéed vegetables, such as carrots or celery
- Add a can of diced tomatoes for a roasted red pepper tomato soup
- Add ½ cup sour cream for an extra thick and creamy soup
- Substitute Italian seasoning for the curry powder and omit the cayenne pepper
- Garnish with fresh herbs, such as cilantro or basil
Storing & reheating
Leftover soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. To reheat, transfer to a small saucepan and heat on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
More delicious soup recipes
- Black Bean Soup
- Chicken Vegetable Soup
- French Onion Noodle Soup
- Cheesy Cauliflower Soup
- Creamy Sausage Gnocchi Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Bacon Cheddar Ranch Chicken Noodle Soup
- Tortellini Minestrone Soup
- 24 ounces roasted red peppers
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add diced onions and minced garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the seasonings and sauté for 2-3 minutes more.
- Combine all the ingredients, including the onions and garlic, in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the blended mixture back into the saucepan, heat to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish with sour cream and chives. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 165Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 871mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 3gSugar: 12gProtein: 5g