Creamy Sausage Gnocchi Soup combines the delicious flavors of Italian Sausage, tomatoes, spinach, and gnocchi in a deliciously creamy, flavor-packed soup. If you like Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana, you’ll love this yummy homemade version even more!
Made with gnocchi and spinach in place of potatoes and kale, this gnocchi soup makes a hearty, satisfying meal the whole family will love.
And since it’s easy to make and ready in under 30 minutes, it’s perfect for busy weeknights and reheats well for weekday lunches. Once you taste the amazing flavors in this rich, creamy gnocchi soup, you’ll see why it’s one of our family’s favorites!
I partnered with Pick ‘n Save to bring you this recipe. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Lemon Tree Dwelling possible!
One of my goals at the start of every winter is to make more soup. And not just our tried and true family favorites, like Quinoa Taco Soup and Pasta e Fagioli and Tortellini Minestrone, but new recipes. Things we’ve never tried before.
And I must say….this year? I’ve actually been successful. I’ve made everything from French Onion Noodle Soup to Chicken Vegetable Soup to Creamy White Chicken Chili and Bacon Cheddar Ranch Chicken Noodle Soup. And we’ve loved every single one of them.
But there’s something about this Creamy Sausage Gnocchi Soup that’s extra. Extra creamy, extra delicious, extra amazing.
Whether it’s the Tuscan flavor combination or the rich, creamy broth or the gnocchi (one of my personal favorites)…as soon as I tasted this soup I knew it was quite possibly my best recipe yet.
And even though it took me a while to get the seasonings just right, at the end of the day it’s actually an incredibly quick and easy soup to make! And since it’s made with Simple Truth ingredients, it’s a soup I feel great about making again and again.
If you’re not familiar with Simple Truth brand, it’s an all natural line of products available at Pick ‘n Save. We love shopping at Pick ‘n Save for lots of reasons, but the fact that their store is loaded with Simple Truth products is definitely at the top of the list. And I was able to use a number of those products in this yummy Creamy Sausage Gnocchi Soup!
HOW DO YOU MAKE CREAMY SAUSAGE GNOCCHI SOUP?
- Heat a small amount of olive oil in a Dutch Oven or soup pot. Add to it 1 cup chopped onion, 1 pound Italian Sausage, and all your seasonings. The Italian Sausage already has a lot of flavor, but I did find that the broth needed some extra seasoning. For this recipe I used 1 tsp. kosher salt, 4 cloves minced garlic, 1 tsp. rosemary, 1/2 tsp. thyme, and 1/2 tsp. oregano.
- Cook the mixture over medium-high heat, breaking up the sausage as you go, until the onion is translucent and the sausage is cooked through.
- Add 2 cups chicken broth, 2 cups half & half, and 1 can drained diced tomatoes and give it a stir.
- Make a roux by melting 3 Tbsp. butter in a small pan, then stirring in 1/4 cup flour. Cook it for a couple minutes, stirring constantly, to let the flour taste cook out. Once it has formed a nice smooth paste, you stir it into your soup.
- Bring the soup to a low boil, then add the chopped spinach and gnocchi. The gnocchi will cook within 5 minutes and the spinach will quickly begin to wilt, which is exactly what you want. And voila! Your soup is ready.
CAN I MAKE A HEALTHIER VERSION OF THIS SOUP?
There’s no denying that this Creamy Sausage Gnocchi Soup is rich. But there are some easy ways to lighten it up!
- Replace the Italian Sausage with Italian Turkey Sausage (which is actually what I used in this recipe!)
- Use low sodium chicken broth in place of regular chicken broth
- Replace the half & half with a fat free version OR milk
- Omit the roux. Your soup will not be as thick or creamy, but you will eliminate 3 Tbsp. of butter.
- Add extra spinach and/or tomatoes for an extra dose of veggies.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 pound Italian Sausage (I used turkey sausage)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 cups Simple Truth chicken broth
- 2 cups half & half
- 1 can Simple Truth diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 Tbsp. Simple Truth butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 pound gnocchi
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch Oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add Italian Sausage (casings removed), chopped onion, garlic, and seasonings.
- Cook, breaking up the sausage as you go, until onion is translucent and sausage is fully cooked.
- Add chicken broth, half & half, and drained diced tomatoes.
- In a separate small saucepan, melt 3 Tbsp. butter over medium-low heat. Stir in 1/4 cup flour and cook, stirring constantly, 3-5 minutes until mixture is bubbly and a thick paste (roux) forms.
- Stir the roux into the soup and bring the mixture to a low boil, stirring regularly. Soup will thicken.
- Add gnocchi and chopped spinach and lower heat to a simmer. Simmer 5 minutes.
*For a thinner soup, you can either omit the roux or add 1-2 cups additional chicken broth.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 502Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 1071mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 22g