This Farro Salad is packed with the delicious flavors of dried cranberries, edamame, green onions, and feta cheese, then tossed in a simple homemade balsamic dressing. It’s a flavor explosion in every bite… and sure to become a fast favorite!
Every now and then, a salad comes along that literally changes your life. A salad that’s so delicious… and so satisfying… you just can’t get enough of it. And this Farro Salad is exactly that.
It’s one of the many recipes I’ve tried and LOVED from my good friend Erin’s new book, The Well Plated Cookbook. It’s FILLED with fresh, delicious recipes just like this one, and one of my favorite things about it is that all the recipes are healthy!
She has everything from appetizers and drinks to breakfast foods, main dishes, and desserts. I’m telling you… one recipe is more delicious than the next, and I can’t wait to make them all! If you’re looking for a new go-to cookbook…. believe me… THIS IS IT!!
This Balsamic Farro Salad is one of those things I could eat daily. Between the nutty farro, the sweet, tart cranberries, the creamy feta, and the oh-so-satisfying edamame, it’s definitely a salad that eats like a meal. And a meal you feel great about eating.
Not only does it make a delicious side dish or picnic salad, but it doubles as a delicious lunch or light dinner. And it’s great for leftovers… so feel free to make a big batch and eat it throughout the week. Trust me… you won’t regret it!
If you’ve never had farro before, it’s basically a healthier alternative to rice. It cooks similarly and can be found in most grocery stores in the same aisle. You should also be able to find shelled edamame in the freezer section, but if not, you can use whole edamame and simply remove it from the shells.
- 1/2 cup uncooked semi-pearled farro, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- 3 green onions, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta (about 3 1/3 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
This recipe couldn’t be easier to make. Simply cook the farro, mix up the dressing, and assemble the salad. The rest of the ingredients can be prepared while the farro is cooking!
1. Prepare the salad – Cook the farro according to the package instructions. Transfer it to a large serving bowl.
2. Prepare the dressing – In a small bowl or large liquid measuring cup, whisk together the oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Immediately pour over the farro while it is still warm. Toss to combine.
3. Assemble the salad – To the farro, add the edamame, green onions, and cranberries. Toss to combine, then sprinkle the feta over the top. Stir gently, just until the feta is incorporated. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as desired.
🍗 Recipe variations
This salad is incredibly satisfying as is, but you may enjoy any of these variations:
- Add chopped, cooked chicken for a main dish meal
- Substitute raisins for dried cranberries
- Use goat cheese in place of feta cheese
- Add 1/2 cup toasted walnuts or pecans
- Substitute any grain for the farro
- Add diced fresh apples for a waldorf twist
📍 Make-ahead & storage tips:
The great thing about this salad is that its flavor improves as it sits. Which means you can make it a day in advance and it will taste even BETTER! It’s also amazing at room temperature, making it perfect for parties and gatherings. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
🥗 Related recipes
I’m a sucker for a delicious side salad, and often serve multiple salad options at any given time. If you love salads as much as I do… here are some more delicious recipes to try:
- 3 Bean Salad
- Bacon Blue Cheese Corn Salad
- Chickpea Cucumber Feta Salad
- Southwest Quinoa Salad
- Broccoli Salad
- Tomato Cucumber Feta Salad
- Ramen Noodle Sumi Salad
- Apple Cranberry Coleslaw
This Farro Salad is packed with the delicious flavors of dried cranberries, edamame, green onions, and feta cheese, then tossed in a simple homemade balsamic dressing. It's a flavor explosion in every bite... and sure to become a fast favorite! Recipe variations:
Balsamic Farro Salad with Edamame & Cranberries
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 218Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 335mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 4gSugar: 16gProtein: 7g
This Farro Salad is packed with the delicious flavors of dried cranberries, edamame, green onions, and feta cheese, then tossed in a simple homemade balsamic dressing. It's a flavor explosion in every bite... and sure to become a fast favorite!
leave a reply