Homemade cutout sugar cookies decorated with marshmallows and icing to look just like Frankenstein! A simple, fun Halloween treat everyone is sure to love!
Ahhh Halloween. Time for all things spooky… like ghosts and haunted houses, skeletons and witches’ brew. As a kid, I remember being both intrigued and terrified by it all… and if I’m being honest, maybe a bit more terrified than ingrigued.
Which is probably why I always kept my costumes more along the lines of fun and cute than spooky. A cheerleader one year, a bunch of grapes the next. And as it turns out… nothing much changed as I got older. No, my adult costumes have consisted of a giraffe, an Olive Oyl costume, Princess Leia… you get the drift.
So it’s no surprise that my Halloween treats – like these Frankenstein Cookies – would also NOT be spooky! They are, however, super cute and seriously EASY to make. And what I love most about them? You can decorate them any way you want!
Kinda like a Halloween costume… only on a sugar cookie!
what you’ll need for this recipe
Sugar cookie dough – This recipe starts with sugar cookie dough, which will be rolled out and cut into rectangles. I used my homemade cut-out sugar cookie dough, which I love because it’s a sturdy dough that’s perfect for icing. You can also feel free to use store-bought cookie dough if you prefer.
Powdered sugar icing – I used a simple powdered sugar icing, made with powdered sugar, milk, vanilla extract, and green sugar sprinkles. You could also use royal icing or a can of store-bought frosting if you prefer.
Green sugar sprinkles – Green sugar sprinkles add extra dimension to the icing. This ingredient is completely optional and up to your own personal preference!
Marshmallows – I used regular sized marshmallows, cut into fourths, for the eyes. You could also use mini marshmallows, cut in half, depending on the size of your cookies.
Black decorating gel – I used black decorating gel for the eyes, mouth, eyebrows, and scar. Decorating gel can be found in the baking aisle at your local grocery store OR at a craft store such as Michael’s.
how to make frankenstein cookies
Make the dough. Follow the instructions for Cut-Out Sugar Cookies and, according to the recipe, refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours.
Roll and cut the dough. Roll the dough to 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Using a ruler to create straight edges, cut the dough into rectangles approximately 3 inches x 4 inches.
Bake. Place the rectangles 2 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes, until edges are just starting to turn lightly golden brown. Transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Decorate. Decorate with icing and green sugar sprinkles; let dry. Add quartered marshmallows for eyes, then use black gel icing to add eyeballs, eyebrows, mouth, and scar.
Tips for Success
- When making the dough, be sure to follow the tips in the Sugar Cookies post!
- Allow cookies to cool completely before you start decorating them
- Allow icing to cool completely before adding to it (green sprinkles can be added right away)
- When cutting marshmallows, run the knife under hot water to keep them from sticking
- Be sure to massage the gel tube and squeeze ALL the air and liquid out before you start decorating. This is very important to avoid gel messes on your cookies!
more fun fall treats
- White Chocolate Candy Corn Muddy Buddies
- Chocolate Covered Candy Corn Pretzels
- Sweet & Salty Candy Corn Oreos
- Candy Corn Buckeyes
- Candy Apple Brownies
- Thanksgiving Cookie Dough Turkeys
- 1 batch sugar cookie dough
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup millk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- green food coloring
- green sugar sprinkles
- 6 marshmallows, cut into fourths
- black gel icing
- Make and refrigerate sugar cookie dough according to recipe instructions (or use store-bought dough).
- Roll chilled dough to 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured surface.
- Using a ruler to create straight edges, cut the dough into rectangles approximately 3 inches x 4 inches.
- Place the rectangles 2 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes, until edges are just starting to turn lightly golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Make the icing by combining powdered sugar, milk, vanilla extract, and green food coloring in a small bowl and mixing until smooth.
- Ice the cookies and add green sugar sprinkles. Let dry completely.
- Add the marshmallows, cut side down.
- Decorate with black gel icing. Cool completely.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 113mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 0gSugar: 28gProtein: 1g