The ULTIMATE comfort soup! This Cheesy Potato Soup is packed with flavor and topped with crispy bacon, cheddar cheese, and sliced green onions for a hearty soup that’s both delicious and oh so satisfying!
When it comes to dinner time, there are certain things you just can’t go wrong with. And around here, SOUP is one of them! It’s one of those things my kids are pretty much guaranteed to like… which means I can literally never have too many recipes.
We have our typical go-tos, namely Chicken Tortilla Soup and White Chicken Chili, but I’m always trying to add new types to the rotation. And this Cheesy Potato Soup 100% makes the cut.
Loaded with Yukon Gold Potatoes and cheddar cheese and topped with all your favorite baked potato toppings, it’s as comforting as it is delicious… and it’s seriously so easy to make.
It’s perfect for weeknight dinners and equally perfect for game day parties, especially when you add in all the fun topping choices!
what you’ll need for this recipe
Bacon – Bacon is technically just a garnish for this recipe, but if you ask me, it’s an integral part of the overall deliciousness! I used 1/2 pound of regular cut bacon and reserved the grease for sautéing the onion.
Onion – Onion adds a delicious element of flavor to this soup. I used 1 sweet (Vidalia) onion, but you could also substitute a regular yellow onion if you prefer.
Potatoes – Potatoes are the star of the show. I used 5 cups of peeled, chopped Yukon Gold potatoes. You can also substitute Russet potatoes.
Garlic, salt & pepper – Minced garlic, salt & pepper are the only seasonings I used in this recipe. Pro tip: be sure to use fresh garlic for optimal flavor!
Chicken broth – 32 ounces of chicken broth form the base of this soup. I used regular (not low sodium) broth for the best flavor.
Milk – To the broth, I added 1 cup of whole milk to make this soup nice and creamy. You can also use heavy cream or half & half for an even creamier consistency.
Cheese – Last but not least, you’ll need 16 ounce of cheddar cheese. For the best texture, buy a block of cheese instead of pre-shredded cheese. You can also substitute other types according to your tastes.
how to make cheesy potato soup
Fry the bacon. The first step to this recipe is to fry the bacon you’ll be using as a garnish. I like to fry it right in the soup pot and then reserve the grease to sauté the onion.
Sauté the onion. Add the chopped onion to the bacon grease in the pot. You can also substitute 2 Tablespoons of butter or oil in place of bacon grease. Sauté the onion over medium heat until translucent.
Add the garlic, potatoes, salt, pepper & broth. Once the onion is translucent, add the minced garlic, chopped potatoes, salt, pepper & broth. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
Mash the potatoes. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes as much or as little as desired. Alternately, use an immersion blender OR remove 3-4 cups of the soup to a blender and blend before returning it to the pot.
Add the milk & cheese. Add the milk and heat through, then stir in the cheese.
Garnish & enjoy. Ladle the soup into bowls, then garnish with bacon, cheese, and sliced green onions or any other toppings you enjoy.
- Use any type of potatoes in place of Yukon Gold
- Add chopped ham or bacon directly to the soup
- Substitute white cheddar, Swiss, gouda, or any type of cheese
- Add additional toppings (e.g. sliced jalapeños, sour cream, hot sauce)
- Substitute heavy cream or half & half for the whole milk
- Blend the soup completely instead of leaving potato chunks
- Make it vegetarian by substituting vegetable broth and omitting the bacon
what you’ll love about this recipe
Not only is this Cheesy Potato Soup EASY to make and packed with amazing flavor, but it’s also the perfect base for so many delicious toppings. We love topping ours with bacon, cheese, and green onions, but you can also add ham, sour cream, sliced jalapeños, or a drizzle of hot sauce.
more soups you’ll love
- Creamy Chicken & Rice Soup
- Cheesy Cauliflower Soup
- Bacon Cheddar Ranch Chicken Noodle Soup
- White Cheddar Beer Cheese Soup
- Split Pea Soup
- Black Bean Soup
- Tuscan Sausage Potato Soup
- Tortellini Minestrone Soup
Cheesy Potato Soup
The ULTIMATE comfort soup! This Cheesy Potato Soup is packed with flavor and topped with crispy bacon, cheddar cheese, and sliced green onions for a hearty soup that's both delicious and oh so satisfying!
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1 Vidalia onion, chopped
- 5 cups peeled, chopped Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 16 ounces cheddar cheese
- Fry the bacon in the soup pot. Remove it from the pot, reserving the grease.
- Add the chopped onion to the bacon grease in the pot (or substitute 2 Tablespoons butter or oil in place of bacon grease). Sauté the onion over medium heat until translucent.
- Once the onion is translucent, add the minced garlic, chopped potatoes, salt, pepper & broth. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes as much or as little as desired. Alternately, use an immersion blender OR remove 3-4 cups of the soup to a blender and blend before returning it to the pot.
- Add the milk and heat through, then stir in the cheese.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with bacon, cheese, and green onions.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 399Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 1281mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 22g
leave a reply