Cannoli Dip has all the flavors of the classic Italian dessert… minus the shell! This sweet, creamy dip is ready in minutes and perfect for dipping with cookies, graham crackers, or any of your favorites!
If you’ve ever had cannoli, you know just how DELICIOUS they are. They combine a sweet, creamy filling with a light, crispy shell… and the end result is nothing short of irresistible.
Clearly there’s no replacement for the real thing, but let’s be honest. The real thing takes time! And if there’s one thing most of us are short on, it’s time. Which is why I LOVE this Cannoli Dip! It’s a quick and easy alternative to the pastries we know and love… and it makes the perfect last minute dessert!
This dip is made with just 6 simple ingredients and is perfect for dipping. Or… let’s be honest… eating by the spoonful. Feel free to choose your own favorite dippers or check out our ideas below!
What is Cannoli Dip made of?
Cheese – Is cannoli is made with ricotta or mascarpone? In the case of this recipe, the answer is BOTH! Cannoli is traditionally made with ricotta cheese, but mascarpone adds a creamy richness that’s hard to achieve with ricotta alone. You can substitute cream cheese for the mascarpone in a pinch, but it will make the dip heavier and give it a distinct cream cheese flavor.
Powdered sugar – Powdered sugar gives this dip the sweetness it needs. I would not recommend substituting granulated sugar, as it won’t combine as well with the ricotta and mascarpone.
Vanilla extract – The flavor of cannoli filling is traditionally very light, with vanilla being the primary flavor. I used pure (not imitation) vanilla for the best quality.
Cinnamon – While cinnamon is optional, it does add another dimension of flavor to this dip. Other options would include nutmeg or allspice.
Mini chocolate chips – No cannoli dip is complete without mini chocolate chips! Be sure you use the miniature ones, as regular sized chips will overpower the dip and the dippers!
How to make Cannoli Dip
Making cannoli dip really couldn’t be easier. Here’s how:
- Measure out your ingredients
- Combine ingredients in a mixing bowl
- Mix until dip is smooth and creamy
- Stir in chocolate chips
- Use any combination of ricotta, mascarpone, and/or cream cheese
- Substitute almond extract for vanilla or use a combination
- Omit the cinnamon
- Substitute nutmeg or allspice for the cinnamon
- Add unsalted pistachios or substitute pistachios for the chocolate chips
- Add chopped or halved maraschino cherries
What to eat with Cannoli Dip
Cannoli Dip is sweet and mild flavored, and pairs well with a large variety of dippers. These are some of our favorites, but feel free to leave YOUR favorites in the comments!
- Waffle cone pieces
- Nilla Wafers
- Chocolate chip cookies
- Cinnamon sugar pita chips
- Graham crackers
- Pizzelle cookies
More dessert dips you’ll love
Dessert dips are a quick and easy sweet treat, and the possibilities for them are endless! If you love dessert dips as much as we do, be sure to check out some more of our favorites!
- Tiramisu Dip
- Chocolate Cherry Amaretto Dip
- Oreo Dip
- Baileys Chocolate Chip Dip
- Brownie Cheesecake Dip
- Root Beer Float Dip
- Banana Cream Pie Dip
- Cherry Cheesecake Dip
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine ricotta, mascarpone, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Use a hand mixer to mix until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate or serve immediately with cookies, crackers, pretzels, or broken waffle cones.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 259Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 121mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 6g