A delicious quinoa dish made with roasted sweet potatoes, fresh kale, black beans, grape tomatoes, yellow onions, and a southwest vinaigrette dressing. Perfect as a side dish or meatless main dish!
The weekend is here! Yayyyyy! Do you have any fun plans? Here at our Lemon Tree Dwelling, we’re still recovering from our most recent trip to Michigan to visit Jorden’s aunt and cousins. We got back Wednesday, so it’s been a couple days, but it always takes a while for us to get back in the swing of things.
Not only do we have suitcases to unpack, dirty laundry to do, a van to clean out, oh – and nothing in our fridge…….we also have the added issue of kids who had a BLAST and are actually a little sad to be back home! So I guess you could say we’re recovering physically as well as emotionally….!
I can’t say I blame the kids. Our trip to Michigan always takes a little getting over! We stay with Jorden’s aunt, who is definitely the hostess with the mostess. We have plenty of privacy, no real responsibilities, and best of all, ALL of our meals are taken care of! By his aunt…..who just happens to own a restaurant!
She tends to spoil us with all kinds of comfort food – fried eggs, sausage, pancakes, potato salad, dips, spreads, and baked goods galore! Add in a couple of meals at the restaurant, and you can see where I’m going with this……! So, needless to say, part of our recovery will be dietary…..starting with this Sweet Potato Kale Quinoa! Loaded with veggies and packed with protein and fiber, this salad is the perfect way to detox. Add in the fact that it’s DELICIOUS, and we’re in business! Now if only recovering emotionally were as easy….. I guess that’s the price you pay for having so much fun!
- 2 c. uncooked quinoa
- 4 c. loosely packed chopped kale
- 3 c. peeled, chopped sweet potatoes
- 2 c. grape tomatoes
- 1 c. black beans, rinsed & drained
- ½ yellow onion, sliced & sauteed
- ¾ c. olive oil
- ¼ c. lemon juice
- ¼ c. cilantro
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1 tsp. spicy chili powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Drain.
- While quinoa is cooking, spread sweet potato wedges on baking sheet and roast at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
- Add kale, roasted sweet potatoes, grape tomatoes, black beans, and sauteed onions to prepared quinoa.
- Prepare dressing by combining all ingredients and mixing well.
- Pour dressing over quinoa mixture and stir to combine.
Be sure to check out these other delicious quinoa recipes, too!