Baked Blueberry Oatmeal

Jorden is off all this week, which means a different pace at our house. PJs until noon, lots (and lots…) of family time, a chance to sleep in (ha! yeah right), and… the thing I’m most excited about… yummy breakfasts! Not having to shuffle a husband and kiddos out the door means more time for the most important (and most delicious) meal of the day!

The only downside is that I have to be the one to make it… (boo)… which is why I LOVE recipes like this one. Anything I can prepare the night before is an automatic keeper…(tasting good is just a bonus :) That way, when morning comes, all I have to do is pop it in the oven and enjoy my morning coffee. Perfect.

I ran across a recipe for the Chancery Restaurant’s Baked Oatmeal a while ago, and tweaked it when I made it for my family this week. Here goes:

Baked Blueberry Oatmeal

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
6 cups milk
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 tsp salt
3 eggs, beaten
2 cups frozen blueberries
1/2 cup chopped pecans
Garnishes: milk, brown sugar, powdered sugar

Combine oats, milk, brown sugar, salt & eggs in a large saucepan. Mix well and simmer over medium heat, stirring regularly until thickened, 15-20 min.

While oatmeal cooks, grease a 9×13 inch pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees.

When oatmeal is thick, add blueberries & pecans and stir to evenly distribute. Pour oatmeal mixture into prepared pan; pour yourself a cup of coffee and bake 30 minutes or until oatmeal is set.

For each serving: Place a portion of oatmeal in a bowl and top with warm milk, brown sugar & powdered sugar.

Pour yourself a second cup of coffee and enjoy!!

Now if only I could find someone to make it for me – ha! yeah right!!

Thanks for taking a peek inside my Lemon Tree Dwelling!
I hope you feel right at home :)
-Cathy

Comments

• says

Hi Daena, thanks for commenting! This is a great recipe to make at the beginning of the week – it will last all week and it travels well! Following you at Bad Rabbit Vintage – your furniture makeovers are great! :)

• says

Thanks, Wanda Ann! I just looked at your New Year’s post…it looks like we started blogging around the same time and I am also finding it to be a wonderful outlet. Just wish I had more time to stop by and check out other people’s blogs (it’s hard to find time for much with 3 little ones!) Thanks for stopping by mine and I just started following yours! :)

Oh, Sweet Lord! This looks and sounds so good. Thank you for sharing this at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

This sounds amazing! I try to eat oatmeal for breakfast but prefer something less liquid, like toast, so this would be perfect for me! I will make this tomorrow! Thanks so much and congrats for being featured on Make it Pretty Monday!
    Jenna

I am in love with this! Most of the baked oatmeal dishes look so dry, but yours is so moist! YUM! Perfect for an oatmeal addict like me :)
    Thank you for sharing this at Wednesday Extravaganza – Hope to see you there again this week with more deliciousness :)

hi cathy… stopping back from oopsie maizie… thanks so much for leaving the sweet comment on my blog… this recipe looks delicious… definitely one that i’m going to try… thanks for sharing… i’m your newest follower and thank you for following me, too… it made my day!

angie