The only downside is that I have to be the one to make it… (boo)… which is why I LOVE recipes like this one. Anything I can prepare the night before is an automatic keeper…(tasting good is just a bonus 🙂 That way, when morning comes, all I have to do is pop it in the oven and enjoy my morning coffee. Perfect.
I ran across a recipe for the Chancery Restaurant’s Baked Oatmeal a while ago, and tweaked it when I made it for my family this week. Here goes:
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 6 cups milk
- 1½ cups packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Garnishes: milk, brown sugar, powdered sugar
- Combine oats, milk, brown sugar, salt & eggs in a large saucepan. Mix well; simmer over medium heat, stirring regularly until thickened, 15-20 min.
- While oatmeal cooks, grease a 9x13 inch pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- When oatmeal is thick, add blueberries & pecans and stir to evenly distribute. Pour oatmeal mixture into prepared pan and bake 30 minutes or until oatmeal is set.
- For each serving: Place a portion of oatmeal in a bowl and top with warm milk, brown sugar & powdered sugar.