Skillet Caramel Apples – lightened up with Truvia® and ready in just 10 minutes! So you can have your caramel apples….and eat them, too!
So, here we are. The middle of October….already. It’s the same thing every year. October sneaks up and then proceeds to sneak right by me….while I am busy with soccer and homework and endless birthday parties and everything else that seems to occupy ALL of my time…..!
And every year I feel it. Because it’s our anniversary month, my birthday month, the month the leaves change, the month the weather shifts. And I’m never…quite…ready…for any of it! Including the apple picking.
Agghhhh the apple picking! Every year I have good intentions. To hit the orchards early. To pick more apples than we know what to do with. To go apple picking at all. No, just kidding. We always do go apple picking….it’s just always at the last possible minute.
Well, this year I planned to change that. So last Friday, when the girls had off of school, Jorden took a half day and we headed out to the apple orchard to get our picking in early. Except…..it was closed! It turns out the hours that were listed on their website were for the store, not the orchard. And just like that, we were back where we are every other year. Apple-less, and less than thrilled about it!
So while I’d love to say these Skillet Caramel Apples were made with hand-picked apples from the orchard, I can’t. But it almost doesn’t matter. Because the real star of this recipe is the CARAMEL! It’s surprisingly easy and completely delicious, and best of all, it’s lightened up with Truvia® Brown Sugar Blend! So you have all the satisfaction of an ooey gooey caramel apple…with just a fraction of the sugar. You’re welcome.
Now get out there and pick some apples (if you haven’t already)….because this is one recipe you’re going to want to make again and again! (Trust me!)
Skillet Caramel Apples
- 1 large apple cored and sliced into thin wedges
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- For caramel:
- 1/4 c Truvia® Brown Sugar Blend
- 1 tsp. corn starch
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1/3 c. half & half
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 Tbsp. chopped peanuts
- Heat 1 Tbsp. butter in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add apples and saute 5 minutes or until apples soften and begin to brown. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine Truvia® Brown Sugar Blend, corn starch, water, half & half, and kosher salt.
- Cook, stirring, over medium-high heat until mixture begins to bubble and thicken.
- Cook 2-3 minutes more, until mixture is a rich caramel color. Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1 Tbsp. butter and 1/2 tsp. vanilla.
- Pour over apples and top with chopped peanuts.