A classic… with a twist! This Pizza Bowl recipe combines all the delicious flavors of your favorite pizza in a low carb bowl that’s so good, you won’t even miss the crust!
When it comes to favorite foods, pizza is ALWAYS at the top of the list. And for good reason! It’s simple, it’s comforting, it’s packed with flavor… and there are SO many different ways to make it. From plain cheese to supreme, from deep dish to thin crust, there really is a pizza for everyone.
But let’s face it. When you’re counting carbs or trying to go gluten free? Pizza is basically off limits. Which is exactly what I love about a Pizza Bowl! It has all the delicious flavors you know and love… without the crust. And let me tell you. You’ll never even miss it.
Because what is there to miss in a bowl that’s loaded with gooey cheese, pizza sauce, and all your favorite toppings? Absolutely NOTHING!
These bowls make the perfect low-carb dinner or can be baked in smaller portions for a fun little appetizer. Or… if you’re looking for something to feed a crowd… this recipe doubles as a dip that’s perfect for breadsticks or crostini!
What you’ll need for this recipe
Italian sausage – Italian Sausage is a classic pizza topping and also one of the main ingredients in this recipe. I used bulk sweet Italian sausage, but you an also use sausage links (casings removed) or hot Italian sausage according to your preferences and what’s available.
Pepperoni – Pepperoni goes hand in hand with Italian sausage, and is the second key ingredient in this recipe. I used regular sized Hormel pepperoni, but you can use a smaller size as well.
Pizza sauce – No pizza is complete without the sauce, and neither is a pizza bowl. I used my favorite store bought sauce, but feel free to use homemade to kick this recipe up a notch.
Cheese – I used a combination of shredded mozzarella and provolone in this recipe. You can substitute an Italian blend, a pizza blend, or just use straight mozzarella. I also added a sprinkle of grated parmesan on top.
Veggies – I always love veggies on my pizza, so I added mushrooms, peppers, and onions to these pizza bowls. Even if you don’t think you like veggies on your pizza… trust me! You’ll love them in this recipe.
Seasonings – A few simple seasonings, namely fresh garlic and dried Italian Seasoning, add the perfect finishing touch to this recipe!
How to make Pizza Bowls
Cook the sausage – Add a small amount of olive oil to a large skillet. Add the minced garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add in the sausage and sauté 6-7 minutes, crumbling as you go, until the sausage is no longer pink. Remove it from the pan using a slotted spoon.
Sauté the veggies – In the same pan, sauté the peppers and onions for about 3 minutes, then add in the mushrooms and sauté for an additional 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
Combine the meats & veggies – Add the cooked sausage and the pepperoni to the sautéed veggies and stir to combine.
Assemble the bowls – Assemble the bowls by dividing the meat & veggie mixture evenly between 4 smaller oven-safe dishes. Add the sauce, cheese, and seasonings to each, dividing ingredients evenly between the bowls.
Bake – Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Add any of your favorite meats, such as ham or bacon
- Use only one type of meat – whichever is your favorite!
- Add additional veggies, including broccoli, cauliflower, or black olives
- Top it with Homemade Croutons
- Substitute any of your favorite pizza combos (e.g. BBQ Chicken Pizza, Hawaiian Pizza, or Margherita Pizza)
- Divide the ingredients into smaller bowls to feed more people
- Bake it in a larger (9×13 inch) baking pan and serve it as a casserole
- Turn it into a dip and serve it with bread or crostini
What to pair with Pizza Bowls
- Cucumber Caprese Salad
- BLT Caesar Salad
- Loaded Italian Salad
- Sicilian Spinach Salad
- Antipasto Platter
- Red Sangria
- White Sangria
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 6 ounces pepperoni, cut into fourths
- 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 16 ounces pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Add a small amount of olive oil to a large skillet. Add the minced garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add in the sausage and sauté 6-7 minutes, crumbling as you go, until the sausage is no longer pink. Remove from the pan using a slotted spoon.
- In the same pan, sauté the peppers and onions for about 3 minutes, then add in the mushrooms and sauté for an additional 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add the cooked sausage and the pepperoni to the sautéed veggies and stir to combine.
- Assemble the bowls by dividing the meat & veggie mixture evenly between 4 smaller oven-safe dishes. Add the sauce, cheese, and seasonings to each, dividing ingredients evenly between the bowls.
- Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes or until light golden brown.