Christmas Crack! aka cracker toffee, aka the BEST THING EVER! This easy recipe comes together in minutes with just a handful of ingredients. It’s the perfect addition to any holiday cookie plate and guaranteed to be everyone’s new favorite!
I know we’ve talked about this before… but I’ll say it again. When it comes to holiday treats, no bake are the BEST. And this Christmas Crack is at the very top of the list! Also known as cracker toffee, cracker candy, or candy crack, it’s a seriously simple recipe that also happens to be seriously addictive.
There’s something about the combination of crisp crackers, sweet toffee, and creamy milk chocolate that’s to die for. Salty-sweet perfection. As in you’re definitely going to eat way too much of it… which is exactly why it’s perfect for holiday gifting!
The key ingredient that sets this recipe apart from the rest? It uses Ritz crackers instead of Saltines. Which truly makes ALL the difference. Because Ritz are light and flaky and deliciously buttery, which makes them the perfect base for this Christmas Crack. Once you try it… you’ll never have it any other way again!
Christmas Crack Ingredients
Crackers – The key difference between Christmas crack and regular toffee? The crackers! I used Ritz crackers in this recipe, which are a delicious choice because of their buttery flavor and delicious light, flaky texture. You can also substitute Townhouse crackers or Saltines if you prefer.
Brown sugar – Brown sugar is, of course, what gives the toffee its sweetness. I used light brown sugar for optimal flavor and color. I would not recommend substituting dark brown sugar or granulated sugar in this recipe.
Butter – Butter is the other half of the toffee filling. I used salted butter and would highly suggest it for the best overall flavor.
Chocolate chips – Chocolate chips are used for the chocolate coating. I used regular sized semi-sweet chips, but you can substitute any type you prefer.
Candies – Finally, no Christmas Crack is complete without some type of candy. I used red and green m&m’s on mine. See below for more ideas!
How to make Christmas Crack
Line a baking sheet with crackers – Place the crackers in rows on a large rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Be sure the crackers fill the sheet but are not overlapping. Feel free to break off a cracker edge if you need to.
Make the toffee filling – In a medium saucepan, combine the brown sugar and butter. Bring to a boil; boil for 3 minutes. The ingredients will combine on their own… do not stir!
Pour the toffee over the crackers & bake – Pour the melted toffee mixture over the crackers on the baking pan. Bake at 400° for 6 minutes.
Add the chocolate chips & bake – Remove the pan from the oven, sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the top, and bake for an additional 1 minute.
Decorate as desired – Spread the melted chocolate chips over the top of the toffee and decorate with m&m’s or your toppings of choice.
Set aside to cool – Set the pan aside to cool, then cut the toffee into squares. Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Be sure to use parchment paper! Toffee is sticky, especially as it hardens, so parchment paper is a must.
- Try to leave as few gaps as possible between the crackers.
- Keep the crackers flat by breaking off any edges if necessary.
- Let the toffee boil on its own – no stirring!
- Spread the melted chocolate chips gently over the toffee.
- Substitute Townhouse or Saltine crackers for Ritz crackers
- Use any variety of chocolate chips
- Use peanut butter or white chocolate chips
- Top with chopped peanuts, pecans, or cashews
- Decorate with candy sprinkles instead of m&m’s
- Sprinkle with crushed Oreos, toffee pieces, toasted coconut, crushed pretzels, or any of your favorites!
More easy Christmas treats you’ll love
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Stuffed Pretzels
- White Chocolate Reindeer Bark
- Rocky Road Candy
- Caramel Cashew Haystacks
- White Chocolate Gingerbread Bark
- Almond Bark
- Chocolate Toffee Pretzels
- White Chocolate Ting-a-Lings
- 40 Ritz crackers
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup salted butter
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup m&m's
- Place the crackers in rows on a large rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Be sure the crackers fill the sheet but are not overlapping.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the brown sugar and butter. Bring to a boil; boil for 3 minutes. Do not stir; the ingredients will combine on their own.
- Pour the melted toffee mixture over the crackers on the baking pan. Bake at 400° for 6 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven, sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the top, and bake for an additional 1 minute.
- Spread the melted chocolate chips over the top of the toffee and decorate with m&m's or your toppings of choice.
- Set the pan aside to cool, then cut the toffee into squares. Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 206Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 115mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 1g