Zucchini Boats are a healthy dinner option with so many fun possibilities! This 3-Cheese version combines sauteed veggies with ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheeses in a delicious low-carb meal the whole family will love!
Let’s be real. Some veggies have ALL the fun… and zucchini is one of them. Because zucchini isn’t just any old vegetable… it’s one of the most versatile of them all.
It can be roasted or sauteed, added to salads, eaten in place of noodles, or eaten like this… a zucchini boat!
With so many different fun ways to prepare it, it’s one of the few vegetables my kids never complain about. In fact, everything I’ve made with it, they’ve loved!
And when it comes to these 3-Cheese Zucchini Boats, there’s nothing NOT to love. They’re packed with veggies, cheese, and Italian seasonings… and they’re our new favorite way to use zucchini!
One thing I love about this recipe is that it’s incredibly easy to shop for. You really just need to make two stops at the grocery store: one in the produce section and one in the dairy section! A few things to note – when choosing zucchini, you’ll want to be sure they’ll fit the width of a 9×13 inch baking pan. As for the other vegetables, I chose baby bella mushrooms, Vidalia onion, and yellow bell pepper (but you can choose any of your favorites!)
- 3 medium zucchini, halved and hollowed out
- 1 15 oz. container ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Although hollowing out the zucchini can be daunting, it’s actually incredibly easy to do. I used a spoon to scrape out all the seeds and some of the extra flesh. You can also use a small paring knife to help with the edges.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Chop ends off zucchini; cut in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the insides. (Reserve for another recipe.) Place prepared zucchini in 9×13 inch baking pan.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine ricotta with 1/2 Tablespoon Italian seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Spoon mixture evenly into zucchini boats.
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped veggies, 1/2 Tablespoon Italian seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Saute 5 minutes until veggies are al dente.
- Divide sauteed vegetables evenly among zucchini boats; top with shredded mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake at 350° 35-45 minutes, until zucchini is tender.
🥩 Recipe variations
We found the meatless version to be absolutely delicious, but if your family is full of meat lovers you can always make that adjustment. Here are some of our favorite variations:
- Reduce ricotta by half and add 1/2 pound ground turkey, beef, or Italian sausage
- Substitute any of your favorite vegetables, including cauliflower, tomatoes, or spinach
- Use any kind of cheese in place of or in addition to the mozzarella and Parmesan
- Add 1/2 cup buttered breadcrumbs on top of the zucchini boats before baking
- Add fresh herbs such as basil, oregano, or thyme
♨️ Storing & reheating
Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. To reheat, place in an oven-safe container and heat at 350° for 20 minutes or until heated through.
🥒 Related recipes
Whether you have zucchini in your garden or are just looking for make the most of summer produce, here are some of the BEST zucchini recipes to try!
- Zucchini Lasagna
- Zucchini Fries
- Lemon Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Fritters
- Zucchini Bread
- Cheesy Zucchini Bake
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 274Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 839mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 19g