Baked Wonton Chips… made with just 3 ingredients! These chips are ultra thin & crispy and perfect for dipping in Crab Rangoon Dip or any of your favorite dips!
You know how they say the shoes make the outfit? Well when it comes to dips… what you dip in it makes ALL the difference. And some dips just need wonton chips!
The first time I ever discovered this was when I made Crab Rangoon Dip with wonton chips for dipping. The combination was to die for… so much so that anything else I dipped in it just didn’t quite match up.
There’s something about them that’s so light and crispy, with a subtle flavor that really lets the flavors of any dip shine through. And even though you can’t buy them in stores, the reality is they couldn’t be easier to make… and they turn out perfect every single time!
Best of all, they’re one of those simple touches that’s guaranteed to impress your family, friends, or last minute guests. They can be eaten with homemade or store bought dips, salsas, guacamole, you name it. So why not make a batch to keep on hand for whenever the need… or mood… strikes!?
What you’ll need for this recipe
- Wonton wrappers – Wonton wrappers are the main (basically the only!) ingredient in this recipe. They can usually be found in the produce section at your local grocery store. If you’re unable to find them there, check at any Asian grocery store. I used the smaller variety instead of the larger eggroll wrappers, but either can be used; the size will only affect how you cut them.
- Oil – A brush of oil helps the wontons crisp up in the oven. I used canola oil, but any type will work.
- Salt – I also added a tiny sprinkle of sea salt to each wonton chip before baking. You can feel free to use regular table salt, kosher salt, or no salt at all for an unsalted chip.
- Baking sheet – I used a large rimmed baking sheet for this recipe. I always prefer rimmed in a recipe like this – so the parchment paper doesn’t slide around – but any large baking sheet will work just fine.
- Parchment paper – Parchment paper really helps with even baking, as well as making sure the food doesn’t stick to the pan. I lined my baking sheet with one large sheet of parchment paper.
- Silicone brush – Finally, a silicone brush is ideal for brushing the oil on the wonton wrapper. You can use any type of brush or even your fingers in a pinch.
How to make Wonton Chips
Cut the wrappers – The first step is to cut the wonton wrappers into whatever shape you desire. I cut mine in half diagonally to make 2 triangular chips out of each wrapper. If you’re using egg roll wrappers, you’ll want to cut them into fourths.
Place them on a baking sheet & brush with oil – Next, arrange the cut wonton wrappers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Using a silicone brush, brush both sides of each triangle lightly with oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
Bake – Bake at 400°F for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. No need to flip!
- Cut wonton wrappers to sized based on what you’ll be dipping them in and what size would be appropriate
- Also determine salt level based on what you’ll be dipping them in (a saltier dip might need lightly salted or even unsalted chips)
- Brush each wonton with a light layer of oil, completely coating each side but with as little oil as possible
- Bake until lightly golden brown. You want them to have some color.
- IF they become over-baked, don’t worry. They’re still delicious!
- Store baked chips in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks
What to eat with Wonton Chips
- Crab Rangoon Dip
- Smoked Salmon Dip
- Sweet Vidalia Onion Dip
- Spinach Dip
- Southwest Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Cheesy Chicken Alfredo Dip
- BLT Dip
- 1 package wonton wrappers
- oil, for brushing
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Cut the wonton wrappers in half diagonally.
- Arrange the cut wonton wrappers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Using a silicone brush, brush both sides of each triangle lightly with oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake at 400°F for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. No need to flip!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 12Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 180mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g