Watermelon Feta Salad is one of our absolute FAVORITE summer salads. Fresh watermelon combined with mini heirloom tomatoes, feta cheese, red onion, and fresh mint, this salad has all the best flavors of summer.
It’s the perfect side dish for picnics, cookouts, or pool parties… and it makes a delicious main dish served on a bed of greens.
If you’re looking for a fun and interesting new way to enjoy watermelon, this easy watermelon salad is exactly what you’ve been waiting for!
There are some foods that just taste like summer. Like garden tomatoes, fresh lemonade, juicy peaches, and most definitely…. watermelon.
It’s one of those things we wait for all year long, and once it’s finally in season, it’s one of those things we stock up on every chance we get.
Because there’s nothing like fresh, juicy, sweet watermelon on a hot summer day. And I don’t know about you, but we can easily go through an entire watermelon in an afternoon.
Of course, you can mix it into cocktails, freeze it for popsicles, or even juice it for a refreshing summer drink. But our favorite way to eat it (aside from devouring it straight) is in this delicious Watermelon Feta Salad. This salad is packed with all the best summer produce and has the most amazing flavor. Not to mention the color… which is bright and happy and perfect for summer.
It’s the ideal side dish for picnics, cookouts, or summer dinners. It’s easy to make and loaded with fresh, delicious ingredients that everyone is sure to LOVE!
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN THIS RECIPE?
- Mini heirloom tomatoes
- Feta cheese
- Red onion
- Fresh mint
- Olive oil
- White balsamic vinegar
HOW DO YOU MAKE WATERMELON SALAD?
- Cut watermelon into bite sized cubes.
- Cut mini tomatoes in half.
- Slice red onion.
- Cut feta into small pieces.
- Tear or chop fresh mint.
- Combine all ingredients in a large salad bowl.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small container with a lid. Shake well; pour over salad.
- Toss & serve.
CAN YOU MAKE IT IN ADVANCE?
This salad can be made up to one day in advance. To do so, combine all ingredients except for the vinaigrette. Prepare the vinaigrette and store separately; then combine them just before serving.
HOW LONG DOES IT LAST IN THE REFRIGERATOR?
You can store Watermelon Feta Salad in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 days.
WHAT ARE SOME VARIATIONS OF THIS RECIPE?
- Add chopped cucumber
- Omit the tomatoes or substitute regular grape tomatoes for the heirloom variety
- Substitute another type of cheese, such as goat cheese, for the feta
- Substitute fresh basil in place of fresh mint
- Serve it over a bed of greens
- Add grilled chicken or shrimp to make it into a main dish
One of the biggest questions I had about this Watermelon Feta Salad was whether or not to serve it over mixed greens. In the end, I decided against it since this way seemed more portable and picnic-friendly. That said, I have no doubt that this salad would be delicious over greens and/or with some type of added protein.
I also went back and forth with the addition of mint, but in the end, it added a ton of flavor and paired amazingly well with the fresh watermelon and feta cheese.
Whether you make this salad as is or with some of the adjustments mentioned above, the truth is if you love watermelon, this salad is for YOU!
You might also enjoy these delicious Feta Salads!
And these are some more of our favorite Summer Salads!
- 6 c. watermelon, cubed
- 4 c. mini heirloom tomatoes, halved
- 10 oz. feta cheese, cubed
- 3/4 c. sliced red onion
- 1/2 c. fresh mint
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- 1/4 c. white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp. red onion, minced
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- In a large salad bowl, combine watermelon, tomatoes, feta, sliced onion, and fresh mint.
- In a separate container with a lid, combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, minced red onion, salt, and pepper. Shake well and pour over salad.
- Toss gently to coat.