Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Flatbread Pizza is one of our favorite easy dinner recipes!
Loaded with zesty sun-dried tomato pesto, chicken, mozzarella cheese, pine nuts, and fresh basil, this pizza recipe is packed with delicious flavor and ready in minutes.
Perfect as an appetizer, snack, or weeknight dinner…if you love sun-dried tomatoes, you’re sure to love this flatbread!
Let’s talk pizza night! Is it a thing you do??
I have to admit…as much as my kids love it (anytime and all the time)…I’m not as big of a fan. Probably because pizza night at our house usually equates to pepperoni pizza takeout. And, well, after all these years…I’m over it.
But what I’m not over? Flatbread pizza. There’s just something about it that feels different. Elevated. Way more grown up (and delicious) than your average pie.
And this recipe is just that. Equally delicious as a fancy appetizer or as an easy family dinner. Everyone who tries it loves it, and best of all, it’s incredibly easy to make. All you need is flatbread, sun-dried tomato pesto, chicken, mozzarella cheese, pine nuts, and fresh basil…and this delicious recipe is ready in just 10 minutes.
Different kinds of flatbread:
The amazing thing about flatbread is that there are so many different varieties. In fact, most cultures around the world have their own form of it. The good news is that any of them will make a delicious flatbread pizza. Here are a few options with descriptions:
- Naan. Naan is a soft, fluffy, oven-baked flatbread that is typically oval shaped. It’s primarily found in the cuisines of West Asia, Central Asia, Southeast Asia, India, and the Caribbean. (I used naan in this recipe.)
- Pita. Pita is a flat, hollow, circular bread that can be split open to hold a filling. It’s common in the cuisines of the Mediterranean, Middle East, and surrounding areas.
- Focaccia. Focaccia is a flat, oven-baked Italian bread that’s similar in texture to pizza crust. It’s often flavored with different ingredients such as olives, herbs, and cheeses and used in sandwiches or as an appetizer.
- Roti. Roti is a round, unleavened flatbread made from stoneground wheat flour and water. It’s primarily found in the cuisines of India, Pakistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Singapore, Maldives, Thailand, Malaysia and Bangladesh.
- Frybread. Frybread is a flat dough bread that’s deep fried in oil, shortening, or lard. It’s native to the Navajo Indians and can be eaten alone or topped with a variety of toppings including jam, honey, or powdered sugar. It is often used as a base for Indian Tacos.
- Tortilla. Tortilla is a thin, unleavened flatbread made of corn or wheat. It’s typically filled with a savory filling and rolled (as in tacos), but can also serve as a thin crust for a flatbread pizza.
How to make sun-dried tomato pesto:
- In a large food processor, combine sun-dried tomatoes, basil, pine nuts, garlic, and Parmesan cheese.
- With the food processor running, slowly add the olive oil until emulsified.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Where to buy sun-dried tomato pesto:
Yes. There are a few brands of sun-dried tomato pesto available in stores, but they can be hard to find. They are typically located in the Italian food aisle inside large or specialty grocery stores.
What kind of chicken do you use?
Any type of cooked chicken will work well in this recipe. I used thinly sliced chicken breasts sautéed in olive oil, but you could also use grilled chicken, rotisserie chicken, or even crispy chicken.
More pizza recipes:
- Stuffed Pepperoni Pizza Bread
- Bruschetta Chicken Alfredo Pizza
- Garden Vegetable Pesto Pizza
- Breakfast Pizza Carbonara
- BBQ Chicken Apple Pizza
Other pizza-inspired recipes:
- 2 flatbreads (I used naan)
- 6 Tbsp. sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. pine nuts
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves, julienned
- Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil over medium heat in a small skillet.
- Add sliced chicken breast and saute until cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Spread 2 Tbsp. pesto on each flatbread. Top each with 3/4 c. mozzarella cheese, 1/2 chicken breast, and 1/2 Tbsp. pine nuts.
- Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven; top with fresh basil.
- Combine remaining 2 Tbsp. pesto and remaining 2 Tbsp. olive oil. Mix well; drizzle over flatbreads.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 759 Total Fat: 36g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 21g Cholesterol: 99mg Sodium: 1161mg Carbohydrates: 63g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 9g Protein: 47g