The State Fair knew long ago what I am just figuring out now: EVERYTHING tastes better on a stick! At last count, the Wisconsin State Fair offered 83 different foods on a stick - everything from apple pie to deep fried stuffing to an 18-inch corn dog.....and so many options in between. Who knew what a huge difference a tiny stick could make?
And the best part? The fact that four kids (ages 2, 4, 6, & 9) ate the entire batch of kebabs! Which is basically like eating an entire pizza, something I had no idea they were capable of! Guess what made it into the dinner rotation? Definitely these guys!! And guess what we'll be doing more of these days and nights leading up to State Fair? Definitely food on sticks!! I'm telling you.....the folks at State Fair are really on to something....!
- Pizza Kebabs
- 1 6.5 oz package pizza crust mix (I used Betty Crocker) or 1 batch pizza dough
- 1 19.5 oz package Jennie-O Italian Turkey Sausage
- 1 8 oz container fresh mozzarella balls
- 1 14 oz jar pizza sauce
- wooden skewers
- Mix pizza dough according to package instructions. Divide into small pieces (18-20) and roll into balls. Place on greased baking sheet and bake at 450 degrees 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove casing from turkey sausage, divide into small pieces (18-20) and roll into balls. Cook in skillet until browned on one side; flip and continue cooking until meatballs are completely browned and cooked through.
- Cut fresh mozzarella balls, if necessary (depending on size).
- Heat pizza sauce in small saucepan and keep warm over low heat.
- Assemble kebabs, dip in sauce, and enjoy!