Edible Cookie Dough is one of our all time FAVORITE treats. It’s easy to make, with just a handful of ingredients, and ready to devour in no time. It’s made without eggs or raw flour, which means it’s safe to eat… no baking required! Skip the cookies and go straight for the dough… aka the best part!
What is it about cookie dough that’s SO darn good? It’s one of those things that really is better before baking… and almost makes you wonder why we even bother with the cookies in the first place.
Don’t get me wrong… I would never pass up a delicious homemade cookie. And if I’m honest… I’m not ALWAYS in the mood for the dough. But when I am? Well… there’s literally nothing better.
Of course, regular raw cookie dough isn’t the safest thing to eat. Hence… the need for this amazing Edible Cookie Dough recipe!
This recipe is made without eggs or raw flour, which makes it 100% safe and absolutely delicious. The perfect way to satisfy all your cookie dough cravings!
The best thing about this recipe… other than the fact that it tastes amazing… is the fact that you most likely have EVERYTHING you need for it sitting in your pantry and fridge! Don’t have M&M’s? No problem… you can substitute anything chocolate!
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 c. all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1-2 Tbsp. milk
- 1/2 c. M&M’s
This recipe is incredibly easy to make, but will turn out best if you follow a few specific tips:
First, be sure your butter is at room temperature before you begin. If it’s too cold or too warm, it won’t cream properly. Second, be sure you microwave your flour before adding it to the recipe. Heating it is what makes it safe for consumption. Third, it’s important to note that the mixture will be dry and crumbly before you add the milk at the end. Be sure to add it slowly, just until the dough reaches your desired consistency.
- Mix wet ingredients – in a medium mixing bowl, cream butter, sugars, and vanilla.
- Microwave flour – measure flour into a microwave save bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute, stirring every 15 seconds. Remove from microwave and set aside to cool.
- Combine wet & dry ingredients – add microwaved flour and salt and mix thoroughly. Mixture will be dry & crumbly.
- Add milk – slowly add in milk, mixing until you reach desired consistency (I used 2 Tbsp.)
- Add m&m’s – stir in m&m’s candies
🍫 Recipe variations
This is a basic cookie dough recipe that’s easy to adjust according to your tastes. Here are some of our favorite additions and substitutions:
- Substitute chocolate chips or white chocolate chips for the m&m’s
- Add chopped nuts for extra crunch
- Substitute any of your favorite chocolate candies for m&m’s… or mix and match
- Use 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. almond extract in place of vanilla extract
- Add cocoa powder to the dough to make a chocolate base
🥚 Is cookie dough safe to eat?
Yes! Edible Cookie Dough is 100% safe to eat because it contains NO raw eggs or raw flour. (Both of these ingredients may contain salmonella, which makes regular cookie dough unsafe for consumption.) Here’s how we made this recipe work:
- Added milk to replace the moisture from the eggs
- Microwaved the flour for 1 minute on high power to kill off any harmful bacteria
🌡 Storing & freezing
Cookie Dough can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. It also freezes well if you’d like it to last longer. One of my favorite ways to freeze it is to scoop it into individual servings, then place them in a freezer container so you can easily enjoy one small taste at a time.
You can also freeze the entire batch by sealing it in an airtight freezer container and placing it in the freezer until you’re ready to use it. To thaw, simply transfer the container from the freezer to the fridge and thaw overnight.
🍪 Related recipes
- Cookie Dough Stuffed Peanut Butter Fudge
- Fluffernutter Cheesecake Cookie Dough Parfaits
- M&M Cookie Dough Stuffed Fudge
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Coconut Lime Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
- Raspberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 195Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 58mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 2g