Cowboy Caviar (also known as Texas Caviar) is one of our all time favorite appetizer recipes! It’s easy to make, packed with delicious flavor, and always a crowd favorite.
This recipe is loaded with beans, corn, black-eyed peas, bell peppers, celery, and onions in a sweet and tangy vinaigrette. It’s the BEST Cowboy Caviar around….and the perfect appetizer for game days, parties, or any type of get togethers.
Best of all, it comes together in under 15 minutes and is easy to take along with you wherever you go. If you’re looking for a new “go-to” favorite, look no further. This one is sure to be a favorite!
Cowboy Caviar: it’s a party staple! And having a good cowboy caviar recipe is a MUST.
I don’t know about you, but I’ve tried a number of different versions of it over the years. And I have to say…there’s something about this recipe that’s my favorite. Not only is it light and fresh and SO delicious, but it’s literally one of the easiest appetizers to make. Not to mention… it makes a huge batch, which is perfect for feeding a crowd!
This dip has been taken to countless parties, cookouts, and game day get togethers…and it gets rave reviews wherever it goes. In fact….people are always asking for the recipe! It’s one of our family’s favorites, and I have no doubt that once you try it, it will become one of your favorites, too.
We always serve ours with tortilla chips, but this bean dip would also be delicious with tacos, quesadillas, or even on top of grilled chicken or fish. And…it can be easily customized to fit your tastes.
Ready to find out how!?
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 15 oz. can pinto beans
- 15 oz. can black-eyed peas
- 2 15 oz. cans corn
- 1 green pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1 c. diced celery
- 1 small jar diced pimentos
- 1/2 c. canola oil
- 3/4 c. apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Drain and rinse black beans, pinto beans, black-eyed peas, and corn
- Dice green pepper, onion, and celery
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl with diced pimentos
- In a small saucepan, combine oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil; remove from heat and pour over dip.
- Stir to mix.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
What is Cowboy Caviar?
Cowboy Caviar, also known as Texas Caviar, is a salad made of beans, black eyed peas, and other various ingredients that are slightly pickled in a light vinaigrette-style dressing. It can be eaten as a salad, but is often served as a dip with tortilla chips.
Where did it originate?
It originated in the United States, in the state of Texas, around the year 1940. It was first made by Helen Corbitt, a native of New York, who served the dish on New Year’s Eve at the Houston Country Club. She later served it at the Driskill Hotel in Austin, Texas. It was given its name, “Texas Caviar” or “Cowboy Caviar” as a humorous comparison to true caviar.
- Swap out the black/pinto beans for any of your favorite beans
- Add tomato, avocado, or cilantro
- Add shelled edamame for a boost of protein
- Give it a southwest kick by adding chili powder, lime juice, cumin, or cayenne pepper to the vinaigrette
- Use multi-colored bell peppers for an extra pop of color
To make it in advance:
Simply follow recipe instructions and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve. This dip will last up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
How to serve it:
- As a salad on its own
- As a dip with tortilla chips
- On top of grilled chicken, steak, pork, or fish
- As a salsa with tacos, quesadillas, or nachos
More dip recipes:
More bean recipes:
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine beans, corn, black-eyed peas, diced pimentos, onions, peppers, and celery. 2. Combine remaining ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. 3. Remove from heat and pour over ingredients in mixing bowl. 4. Stir to combine. Chill until ready to serve.
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine beans, corn, black-eyed peas, diced pimentos, onions, peppers, and celery.
2. Combine remaining ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove from heat and pour over ingredients in mixing bowl.
4. Stir to combine. Chill until ready to serve.