Moist, delicious chocolate chip muffins....infused with coconut extract and topped with a toasted coconut glaze.
Well....today is our first official day of summer break....and as much as I wish we were celebrating with a fresh batch of these Coconut Chocolate Chip Muffins, the truth is we're having toasted bagels instead. Not exactly what I had in mind....(I had planned to make these last night).....but when push came to shove, I was just too tired!
I know, I know.....it's to be expected. We have a 3 week old! And being too tired or busy to do things is going to become a common occurrence around here this summer. But just because it's our new reality doesn't mean I have to like it! I'm a go-getter. A do-it-all kind of person. And I REALLY struggle with not being able to do it all!
This past weekend was especially hard for me, being Father's Day. I had wanted/planned to give Jorden some time to himself.....to sleep in, take a nap, or do whatever he might want to do. And he DID get some time, first thing in the morning, before I realized I totally can't handle 4 kids on my own. By the time Jorden woke up from his morning nap, I was frazzled and fried and not at all ready for a special day....especially one that meant more work for me!
Lucky for me, Jorden didn't have high hopes for the day. When I left with three of the kids for a grocery trip, he set up a TV in the screened in porch, popped open a beer, kicked up his feet, and turned on the World Cup. And by the time I got home, he was a happy dad. And I was......surviving. I'm thinking this is going to be the summer of "faking it".....finding little things I can do that are quick and easy, but make me feel like I'm doing something. Like these Coconut Chocolate Chip Muffins! I woulda/coulda/shoulda made them for Father's Day....or the first day of summer break....and they would have been perfect! But, as easy as they are, I was just too tired. And that' s okay. There's always tomorrow.
Coconut Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 c. milk
- 2 large eggs
- 8 Tbsp. 1 stick unsalted butter, melted & cooled
- 1 tsp. coconut extract
- 1 c. chocolate chips
- 1/2 c. toasted coconut
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 5 Tbsp. milk
- 1/4 tsp. coconut extract
- toasted coconut
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk yogurt, milk and eggs.
- Gently fold the yogurt mixture into the flour mixture until just combined.
- Stir in melted butter.
- Add coconut extract, chocolate chips, and toasted coconut and stir until evenly distributed.
- Generously coat a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups and bake 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool in the pan 5 minutes, then on a wire rack 10 minutes before adding glaze.
- Combine all ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Drizzle a small amount on each muffin and top with additional toasted coconut.
Looking for more delicious Quick Bread recipes?