White Russians are the ultimate nightcap, and this recipe is the BEST!
Made with just 3 ingredients, it has the perfect balance of flavor and sweetness and is our favorite after dinner drink.
Best of all, it couldn’t be easier to make. All you need is an old fashioned glass, some ice, and a few simple ingredients, and you’re well on your way to this delicious classic cocktail that’s sure to become your new favorite!
I don’t know about you, but when it comes to dessert I’d almost always prefer it in the form of a drink. Whether it’s coffee or tea or something a little more boozy… there’s something about ending the night with a drink that just feels right.
And this classic White Russian is one of my absolute FAVORITES!
I love that it’s creamy, and coffee flavored, and vodka based… and I love that it actually tastes like dessert. I tested several different combos using different ingredients, different amounts, and a couple add-ins, and THIS recipe was the clear winner.
Not only is it deliciously balanced with just the right amount of sweetness, but it’s SO incredibly easy to make. And let’s be honest. If we’re making a nightcap at all, it better be easy!
- 2 oz. coffee liqueur
- 2 oz. half & half
- 1 oz. vodka
- Fill an old fashioned glass 2/3 full with ice.
- Add coffee liqueur, then vodka, then half & half.
- Watch the half & half swirl around in the glass 🙂
- Stir until mixed.
The alcohol content of this drink, if made according to recipe instructions, is approximately 30% ABV (alcohol by volume).
White Russian vs. Black Russian
The only difference between these two cocktails is the addition of half & half or cream. Black Russians are made with a combination of coffee liqueur and vodka, served over ice.
- Use Kahlua in place of coffee liqueur. Kahlua is rum + coffee liqueur; it has a stronger coffee flavor and is not as sweet.
- Use heavy cream in place of half & half for a thicker, creamier cocktail.
- Use flavored vodka – such as vanilla, whipped cream, or coffee flavored – for an added kick of flavor.
- Play around with the measurements. For a more coffee forward drink, use more coffee liqueur. For a more vodka forward drink, use more vodka. Everyone’s tastes are different, so find the combination that tastes best to you!
Making a large batch
To make a large batch, simply keep the 2:2:1 ratio in mind.
- To serve 4, combine 1 c. coffee liqueur, 1 c. half & half, and 1/2 c. vodka
- To serve 8, combine 2 c. coffee liqueur, 2 c. half & half, and 1 c. vodka
- To serve 12, combine 3 c. coffee liqueur, 3 c. half & half, and 1.5 c. vodka
- Cherry Chocolate Eclair Cake
- Frosted Brownies
- Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Baileys Chocolate Sheet Cake
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Lava Cakes
- Chocolate Fudge Pudding Cake
- Irish Mudslide
- Strawberry Shortcake Martini
- Pumpkin Spice Mudslide
- Baileys Mint Martini
- Eggnog Mudslide
- Chocolate Strawberry Martini
- Homemade Irish Cream
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 353Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 43mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 0gSugar: 25gProtein: 2g