This Pasta Fagioli Soup is the best soup ever! This one pot dish is full of veggies, beans, sausage, fresh herbs, and noodles. It's a full meal, all in one bowl!
Well....I'm crossing my fingers that we are nearing the end of soup season. It's bittersweet, of course......I love soup just as much as the next gal.....but I think it's safe to say we have all had enough cold weather to last us until next year!
Cabin fever has set in.....because with temperatures in the single digits and a wind chill below zero, the last thing I want to do is venture outside. But the end is near (right!?) and this is one soup recipe I NEED to share with you before spring!
It has all my favorite ingredients - white beans, veggies, Italian sausage, rosemary, and plenty of garlic - and when you top it with shaved Parmesan cheese, it's like a giant bowl of comfort. Which is exactly what a long, cold winter calls for!
The best thing about this soup is that the whole family loves it. Gobbles it up! So I would say it will last you all week....but around here, there's usually just enough leftover for lunch the next day. Which is actually great! Because if there's one thing that makes cabin fever worse, it's days and days of leftovers. (Can I get an amen??)
If soup is what you crave, then you should try my Tuscan Sausage Potato Soup! So yummy!
Pasta e Fagioli
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. sweet Italian sausage I use Jennie-o turkey sausage
- 2-3 large carrots finely chopped
- 3-4 ribs of celery finely chopped
- 1 small onion finely shopped
- 1 green pepper finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 tsp. dried
- 3-4 sprigs fresh oregano or 1 tsp. dried
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tp. pepper
- 6 c. chicken broth
- 1 can white beans Cannellini or Great Northern
- 1 c. small pasta shells
- shaved Parmesan cheese
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage (casings removed) and cook, stirring, until browned.
- Add vegetables, herbs, salt & pepper and cook until vegetables are softened (approx. 5 min).
- Add chicken broth, beans, and 2 c. water.
- Cover pot and bring soup to a boil; stir in noodles and simmer until noodles are al dente.
- Discard bay leaf and herb stems.
- Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.
- *Recipe adapted fro Rachel Ray
Don't forget to follow me on Pinterest for more great recipe ideas!