This Pasta e Fagioli Soup is packed with veggies, beans, sausage, fresh herbs, and noodles. It’s hearty, flavorful, and oh so satisfying!
Well….I’m crossing my fingers that we are nearing the end of soup season. It’s bittersweet, of course……I love soup just as much as the next gal…..but I think it’s safe to say we have all had enough cold weather to last us until next year!
Cabin fever has set in…..because with temperatures in the single digits and a wind chill below zero, the last thing I want to do is venture outside. But the end is near (right!?) and this is one soup recipe I NEED to share with you before spring!
It has all my favorite ingredients – white beans, veggies, Italian sausage, rosemary, and plenty of garlic – and when you top it with shaved Parmesan cheese, it’s like a giant bowl of comfort. Which is exactly what a long, cold winter calls for!
The best thing about this soup is that the whole family loves it. Gobbles it up! So I would say it will last you all week….but around here, there’s usually just enough leftover for lunch the next day. Which is actually great! Because if there’s one thing that makes cabin fever worse, it’s days and days of leftovers. (Can I get an amen??)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet Italian sausage
- 3 large carrots, finely chopped
- 4 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely shopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary OR 1 teaspoon dried
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme OR 1 teaspoon dried
- 3-4 sprigs fresh oregano OR 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 15 ounce can white beans, Cannellini or Great Northern
- 1 cup uncooked small pasta shells
- shaved Parmesan cheese
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage (casings removed) and cook, stirring, until browned.
- Add vegetables, herbs, salt & pepper and cook until vegetables are softened (approx. 5 min).
- Add chicken broth, beans, and 2 cups water.
- Cover pot and bring soup to a boil; stir in noodles and simmer until noodles are al dente.
- Discard bay leaf and herb stems.
- Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 274Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 1354mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 21g