Italian Stuffed Peppers are a delicious new way to enjoy a classic!
Fresh bell peppers stuffed with Italian sausage, white rice, diced tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese, this recipe takes stuffed peppers to a whole new level.
If you’re looking for an easy, delicious dinner the whole family will love, these Italian Stuffed Peppers are IT!
I partnered with Pick ‘n Save to bring you this recipe. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Lemon Tree Dwelling possible!
Stuffed Peppers are one of those foods I dreaded as a child but absolutely love as an adult. Funny how that works, isn’t it? To be honest, there aren’t many foods I can say that about. Because for the most part my taste buds have stayed the same.
No mac & cheese, tuna casserole, or peas for me, please. As a child OR an adult! But give me all the brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, and white chocolate you can. And my childhood self would agree.
And then there are stuffed peppers. As a child, I had to force myself to choke them down. But as an adult?! I could eat them all the time! One of the things I love most about them is all the possibilities. And these Italian Stuffed Peppers might just be my favorite ones yet.
Between the Italian sausage and the fresh veggies and the mozzarella cheese, these peppers are packed with delicious flavor. Best of all, they’re easy to make and perfect for prepping in advance.
And I found all the ingredients to make them at my local Pick ‘n Save! Pick ‘n Save always an amazing selection of fresh produce, and I couldn’t pass up all the different colors of stuffed peppers. I also love that their Roundy’s cheese is produced right here in Wisconsin, so whenever I buy it I’m supporting a local farmer. Talk about a win win!
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN THIS RECIPE?
- Bell peppers
- White rice
- Italian sausage
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Mozzarella cheese
- Italian parsley
HOW DO YOU MAKE ITALIAN STUFFED PEPPERS?
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds & membrane.
- Prepare rice according to package instructions.
- Brown Italian sausage and onion.
- Combine cooked rice, Italian sausage, diced tomatoes, cheese, and parsley.
- Spoon into peppers; place peppers into a baking pan and add 1/4 c. water to the bottom of the pan.
- Top peppers with additional cheese.
- Cover with foil; bake.
WHAT COLOR PEPPERS DO YOU USE?
Any color bell pepper will work fine; however, it is important to note a few important differences:
- red peppers are sweetest, but their shape often makes it difficult to stand them up
- yellow and orange peppers are slightly less sweet than red peppers
- green peppers are the least sweet and have more of a bitter quality than the other colors
CAN YOU SUBSTITUTE GROUND BEEF FOR ITALIAN SAUSAGE?
Yes, you an absolutely substitute ground beef or ground turkey for the Italian sausage. However, you will likely want to add some salt and additional seasonings to the mixture since Italian Sausage packs so much of the flavor in this recipe.
CAN YOU USE A DIFFERENT TYPE OF CHEESE IN THIS RECIPE?
Mozzarella is a great choice because it melts well and pairs well with the other flavors in the stuffed peppers. If you’d like to substitute another kind of cheese, I would suggest provolone, asiago, or Parmesan.
CAN THIS RECIPE BE PREPPED IN ADVANCE?
Yes, this is an ideal recipe to prep in advance. You can do this in one of two ways:
- Cook the rice, brown the sausage, and cut the tops off the peppers; then assemble later.
- Assemble the stuffed peppers completely, cover with foil and refrigerate until ready to bake.
HOW DO YOU REHEAT LEFTOVERS?
Leftovers can easily be reheated in the oven or microwave. To reheat in the oven, add a small amount of water to the bottom of a small baking pan and cover with foil.
Whether your family loves stuffed peppers or is just trying them for the first time, this recipe is a fun twist they’re guaranteed to love.
Dinner just got a little healthier…and a little more delicious!
You might also enjoy these Italian-inspired recipes!
- Italian Party Sub
- Italian Antipasto Grilled Cheese
- Italian Sausage Pizza Soup
- 3-Cheese Loaded Italian Salad
- Crock Pot Italian Chicken
- Grilled Italian Sausage Sandwiches
- Chopped Italian Salad
- Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Flatbread Pizza
- 6 large bell peppers
- 2 c. cooked rice
- 1 lb. Kroger Italian sausage
- 1/2 c. diced onion
- 1 (14 oz.) can Kroger Italian Style Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- 8 oz. Roundy's shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp. fresh Italian parsley, minced
1. Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds & membrane. Set aside.
2. Prepare rice according to package instructions (2/3 c. uncooked rice yields 2 c. cooked).
3. While rice is cooking, brown Italian sausage and onion in a large skillet until no pink remains. Drain grease.
4. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together cooked rice, Italian sausage, diced tomatoes, 1 ½ c. cheese, and 2 Tbsp. parsley.
5. Spoon into peppers, filling them completely.
6. Place stuffed peppers into a 9x13 inch baking pan. Add 1/4 c. water to the bottom of the pan.
7. Top peppers with remaining ½ c. cheese.
8. Cover with foil; bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 minutes more.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 489 Total Fat: 29g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 18g Cholesterol: 68mg Sodium: 860mg Carbohydrates: 32g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 8g Protein: 26g