Guinness Glazed Meatballs are the ultimate St. Patrick's Day appetizer.
These easy homemade meatballs are infused with Guinness beer and smothered in a sweet and savory Guinness BBQ sauce. They make the perfect party appetizer, or you can serve them over mashed potatoes for a delicious St. Paddy's Day dinner.
Whether you're hosting a party or just planning an Irish-inspired meal at home, this recipe is for you!
The countdown to St. Patrick's Day is officially on. Are you ready?!
I finally got the lowdown on our neighborhood party....and I must say. I can't wait!!! It's been WAY too long since we dressed in green and partied it up. And I plan to pull out all the stops.
And when it comes to leprechaun day, you can never have too much Guinness...am I right? Especially in the form of these Guinness Glazed Meatballs!
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN THIS RECIPE?
- Ground turkey or beef
- Panko bread crumbs
- Chopped onion
- Dijon mustard
- Dried minced onion
- Garlic powder
HOW TO MAKE MEATBALLS WITH GUINNESS:
- Combine ground beef, chicken, or turkey with panko bread crumbs, egg, onion, Guinness, and seasonings. Mix well.
- Roll into 1 1/2 inch balls; place on a baking sheet and bake at 350° 20-25 minutes.
- While meatballs are baking, prepare sauce.
- Combine meatballs with sauce.
WHAT IS GUINNESS?
Guinness is a traditional Irish stout beer that originated in the brewery of Arthur Guinness at St. James's Gate, Dublin, Ireland, in 1759. It is made from roasted barley, hops, yeast, and water and is known for its deep color and caramelized flavor, which come from barley that has been roasted but not malted. Guinness has a creamy white head which is created from the 'initiation' and 'surging' of bubbles of nitrogen and carbon dioxide gas as the beer is poured. Guinness beer is available in well over 100 countries worldwide and is brewed in almost 50.
HOW DO YOU MAKE GUINNESS BBQ SAUCE?
- In a small saucepan combine Guinness, ketchup, honey, molasses, dijon mustard, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to simmer and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in corn starch and continue simmering until thickened.
CAN YOU USE FROZEN MEATBALLS?
If you're looking to save time, you can definitely feel free to use your favorite frozen meatballs. Of course, they won't be made with Guinness, but there's enough of it in the sauce that you won't sacrifice much Guinness flavor.
HOW DO YOU SERVE GUINNESS GLAZED MEATBALLS?
These meatballs make a delicious appetizer all on their own, or they can be served over mashed potatoes, in a meatball sub, or with a side of veggies as part of a main meal.
These meatballs are perfect for Guinness lovers, but even if you're not a self-proclaimed lover of Irish stout, you'll still love the delicious flavors in this recipe.
A little bit savory, a little bit sweet, and a little bit tangy, they're sure to become a new staple for your St. Patrick's Day festivities.
And who knows....!? You may just find yourself making them all year round!
Looking for more delicious recipes for leprechaun day? Here are some of our favorites!
- Irish Mimosas
- Irish Mules
- Mini Reuben Bites
- Baked Reuben Sandwiches
- Baileys Shamrock Shakes
- Baileys Chocolate Mousse
- Irish Mudslides
- Shamrock Punch
- Baileys Mint Martini
- 1 lb. ground turkey or beef
- 1 c. panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 c. Guinness
- 1/4 c. chopped onion
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 2 bottles Guinness
- 1/2 c. ketchup
- 1/4 c. honey
- 2 Tbsp. molasses
- 2 tsp. dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. dried minced onion
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 4 tsp. cornstarch
- For the meatballs: Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Form into 1 1/2 inch balls (I used a small cookie scoop) and place on a rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes.
- For the sauce: Combine all ingredients except cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Whisk.
- Bring to a boil, whisking occasionally.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer 20 minutes.
- Whisk in cornstarch and continue simmering 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Add meatballs to sauce.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 115Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 213mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 7g