Chocolate Strawberry Sandwich Cookies...just in time for Valentine's Day!
You're sure to fall in love with these adorable chocolate strawberry cookies - perfect for classroom parties, teacher gifts, or a special Valentine's Day treat.
A delicious combination of chocolate sugar cookies and strawberry creme filling, they're surprisingly easy to make and seriously fun to eat. And with a little drizzle of chocolate and some fun colored sprinkles on top, they're exactly what you need to make this Valentine's Day extra special!
I partnered with Pick 'n Save to bring you this recipe. Thanks for supporting the brands that make Lemon Tree Dwelling possible!
You guys. Valentine's Day! It's seriously creeping up on me! Time to start collecting shoe boxes to decorate for classroom parties. Time to start getting creative with valentine ideas. And time to figure out if we can make a date night happen....or if it will be heart shaped pizza at home. Again. (Can anyone else relate?)
I remember just a few years back, when school parties were new and Valentine's Day was a novelty. And even further back, when having heart shaped pizza at home to celebrate wouldn't even have been an option. Oh, how things change.
These days? If I'm totally honest, Valentine's Day is a bit of an afterthought. Don't tell my kids that....but it's true. Just for them, though? I'm doing my best to pretend it's not.
So we'll make some fun treats, like these cute little Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Hearts, and I might even surprise them with Chocolate Covered Strawberry Pancakes before school. (And after bedtime? You better believe I'll be whipping up some of these Chocolate Strawberry Martinis for the two of us.)
And....clearly, now that these Chocolate Strawberry Sandwich Cookies have been introduced into their lives, making a special batch for Valentine's Day will be a MUST.
There's just something about chocolate sugar cookies that feels, well, special. And different. And delicious. And when you combine them with a creamy strawberry filling, the result is nothing short of perfection.
Never made chocolate sugar cookies? Here's how!
HOW DO YOU MAKE CHOCOLATE SUGAR COOKIES?
- Start with room temperature butter. If your butter is too hard or too soft, the dough won't come together as well. Room temperature means that when you press on it with your finger, it makes an indentation but your finger doesn't actually slide into the butter. It should still be somewhat firm, but not cold.
- Use unsalted butter. This allows you to adjust the salt level more effectively and eliminates the risk of overly salty cookies.
- Use unsweetened cocoa powder, and feel free to adjust the amount according to your tastes. I used ½ cup in this recipe, but you could use up to ¾ cup if you are looking for a more intense chocolate flavor.
- Chill the dough, but not for too long. I found that 1 hour of chill time was plenty for this dough.
- Roll the dough out evenly to ⅛ inch and be careful to avoid air pockets, which will lead to bubbles on the tops of the cookies.
The first time I made these Chocolate Strawberry Sandwich Cookies, the kids could NOT get enough of them. They were surprised, and impressed, and told me they were just like Oreos. And they couldn't believe I had figured out how to make homemade Oreos in the shape of hearts.
But let me tell you a little secret. There's nothing tricky about these Chocolate Strawberry Sandwich Cookies. If you've ever made cut-out cookies, you know that all you need is a few simple ingredients, a rolling pin, a cookie cutter, and some patience....and you're good to go!
Speaking of simple ingredients, one of the things I love MOST about these homemade sandwich cookies is the fact that they're made with delicious, high quality ingredients. Like Simple Truth flour, sugar, butter, and eggs.
If you're not familiar with Simple Truth brand, you're missing out! It's our go-to brand for all natural products at super reasonable prices. And if you shop at Pick 'n Save, like we do, Simple Truth product are everywhere!
So not only do the kiddos feel good about these special Valentine's Day treats...but I feel good about the fact that they're homemade with amazing ingredients.
And...since there are fresh strawberries in the creme filling...they're basically healthy, right??? Or at least we can tell ourselves that for just one day.
Thinking about making these Chocolate Strawberry Sandwich Cookies to give as Valentine's Day gifts? Me too! And when I do, I might mix up the decorations and wrap them each individually...just to make them extra special. Before you make them, be sure to check out my other tips below! Hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
HOW DO YOU MAKE STRAWBERRY CREAM FILLING?
- Start with room temperature ingredients. If your butter and cream cheese are too hard or too soft, the filling won't come together as well. Room temperature means that when you press on it with your finger, it makes an indentation but your finger doesn't actually slide into the butter or cream cheese. It should still be somewhat firm, but not cold.
- Use real butter (not margarine) and full fat cream cheese. Low fat is less firm and the filling won't set nearly as well.
- Use fresh strawberries and puree them before adding them to the rest of the ingredients.
- Add powdered sugar slowly until you reach desired consistency.
- Let filling chill before preparing sandwich cookies. It will need to firm up a bit before it's ready to use!
- 1 ½ cups Simple Truth flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup unsalted Simple Truth butter, *at room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups Simple Truth sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Strawberry Creme Filling
- 1 stick unsalted Simple Truth butter, at room temperature
- 4 oz. Simple Truth cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 12 oz. milk chocolate chips
- candy sprinkles
- In a small mixing bowl, combine Simple Truth flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, cream Simple Truth butter and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in egg and vanilla, then gradually add dry ingredients and mix until dough forms.
- Gather dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and flatten. Chill 1 hour.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and roll out onto a floured surface. Dough should be approx. ⅛ inch thick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut into 36 cookies. (*I used a 2 ½ inch cookie cutter. Number of cookies may vary based on cookie cutter size.)
- Place cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes on baking sheet, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Strawberry Creme Filling
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine butter and cream cheese. Mix until blended and creamy.
- Puree strawberries; blend puree into butter mixture.
- Add powdered sugar, a little bit at a time, until you reach desired consistency. (I used all 4 cups.)
- Chill filling 1 hour or until firm. Spread filling generously inside 2 chocolate sugar cookies. Scrape edges as needed.
- Melt chocolate chips; drizzle over sandwich cookies and top with candy sprinkles.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 232Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 110mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 24gProtein: 2g