You can’t go wrong with shortbread cookies, and this chocolate version is our new favorite.
Made with just FIVE simple ingredients, they’re everything shortbread should be… with a delicious chocolate twist!
Perfect for snack time, dessert time, or any time, if you’re looking for a fun, easy twist on a classic cookie recipe, you’ve come to the right place!
Shortbread cookies – yay or nay? Personally, I’ve always been a fan. To me, they’re as classic as chocolate chip cookies and WAY underrated.
That being said, I can see how some people might find them a bit “boring”. Which is why this chocolatey twist is so perfect! Because, let’s face it, chocolate makes everything better. And when you dip them in even more chocolate? They’re pretty much the best cookies ever!!
I made them for my kids recently, and they were instantly hooked. They wanted to dunk them in everything, decorate them with sprinkles, and drizzle them with ALL the chocolate. And once they were gone, they begged me to make more.
Honestly, how could I say no!? They’re SO easy to make… and only five ingredients. Clearly a no brainer!
One of the things I love most about this recipe is that it’s made with so few ingredients, and ones you probably already have on hand: all purpose flour, cocoa powder, and butter.
When I made them, I used sweetened cocoa powder, but you can also use unsweetened and add 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar. For the butter, I prefer salted for added flavor, but unsalted will work, too.
- 1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
- 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 10 Tbsp. butter
- 6 oz. white chocolate
- 2 oz. milk chocolate
A little note about the chocolate – I always use Candiquik for melting and dipping. It melts better than any other kind of chocolate coating, and we love the way it tastes, too.
You can also add a variety of other toppings and/or sprinkles… see my section below on decorating ideas!
- Combine flour, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut in butter with a fork or pastry blender until the mixture resembles fine crumbles.
- Form mixture into a ball and knead until smooth.
- Press the dough into a 6×8 inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut into strips (2″ x 1″) and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes.
🍫 Decorating ideas
These cookies are so simple to make and so fun to decorate! After dipping them in your favorite chocolate, sprinkle them with any of the following (or a combination of a few!):
- chopped nuts
- colored sprinkles
- crushed Oreos
- mini chocolate chips
- mini m&m’s
- graham cracker crumbs
- freeze dried fruit
Shortbread cookies are EASY to make, and guaranteed to come out delicious every time if you follow these tips:
- Always use room temperature butter
- Use sweetened cocoa powder, which should be available at your local grocery store
- You can use either salted or unsalted butter. It will change the taste slightly, but either will work
- For best baking results, roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness
🌡 Storing leftovers
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
🍪 Related recipes
If you love trying new cookie recipes, these are some of our favorites!
- Raspberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Strawberry Sandwich Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Coconut Lime Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
- Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies
- Pistachio Cookies
Serving Size: 24 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 127Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 46mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 0gSugar: 8gProtein: 1g