I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper amplification for Collective Bias and its advertiser.
If you’re anything like me, Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chips were a key part of your childhood. I have distinct memories of coming home from school to the smell of fresh baked chocolate chip cookies, of making Nestle Toll House bars with my mom, of melting them with peanut butter to make puppy chow with my friends. Nothing beats the ooey gooey deliciousness of warm, melted chocolate chips….and when I found out that Nestle was celebrating the 75th Anniversary of its semi-sweet morsels, I just knew I had to be part of it!
So I joined together with #CollectiveBias and Walmart to share a fun new recipe using Nestle #NewFavorites Chocolate Chips. I wanted to combine some of my favorites from childhood with some fresh new ideas, and one thing I’ve ALWAYS wanted to try is homemade soft pretzel bites! What better way to jazz up soft pretzel bites, of course, than with chocolate chips!?
I headed to Walmart to pick up the ingredients for chocolate chip soft pretzel bites….and while I was there I spotted peanut butter. Instantly I knew what to do! I came home, whipped up the pretzel dough, rolled it, cut it, dipped it, and popped it in the oven. And while the delicious little bites were baking, I turned my attention to the half-full bag of chocolate chips. And, of course, the peanut butter.
I knew from my vast experience with puppy chow that peanut butter and chocolate chips melt together seamlessly….and that the result is a smooth, creamy, and absolutely delicious sauce…..perfect for dipping soft pretzel bites!
I must say….although there is nothing quite like a homemade chocolate chip cookie, there is ALSO nothing quite like a homemade chocolate chip soft pretzel bite. Especially when that soft pretzel bite is dipped in warm peanut butter-chocolate sauce! Best of all? These little nuggets were done in about a half hour from start to finish. Which means you can whip up a batch to surprise your kids with (or yourself) any time of day! Because when it comes to chocolate chips, we’re pretty much all just kids anyway, right?
Chocolate Chip Soft Pretzel Bites
Pretzels (recipe adapted from Sarah's Cucina Bella)
- 1 package dry active yeast
- 1 1/2 c. warm water
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 4 c. all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. chocolate chips I used Nestle semi-sweet
- 1 egg
- 1 c. chocolate chips
- 1/2 c. peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 425°F degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast and warm water. Let sit until the yeast dissolves (about 2-3 minutes).
- Stir the brown sugar into the yeast mixture until dissolved.
- Add the flour, salt, and chocolate chips. Stir to combine. Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead with floured hands until smooth.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl; set aside.
- Divide the dough into 6 portions. Working with one at a time, roll the dough balls out into ropes that are about 1 inch in diameter. Use a sharp knife to cut 1-inch lengths of dough.
- Drop each of the dough pieces into the egg mixture and immediately transfer to prepared baking sheets. Place them about 1/2 inch apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Combine chocolate chips and peanut butter in a small saucepan.
- Heat over low heat, stirring often, until completely melted.