Cherry Turnovers are a classic breakfast pastry, and this easy recipe is our favorite. It starts with refrigerated crescent rolls filled with cherry pie filling and cream cheese, then baked to perfection and topped with a sweet vanilla icing. So simple and so delicious… the perfect breakfast treat!
When it comes to breakfast, there are two kinds of people in the world. Those who love all things savory… like eggs and hash browns… and those who love all things sweet.
In our house, we’re firmly divided. Some of us will take an omelet with a little something sweet on the side, while others of us would eat the whole pan of these Cherry Turnovers and call it a day.
The one thing we all have in common? We LOVE these Cherry Turnovers.
And really… what’s not to love!? They’re easy to make, oven-ready in minutes, and all you need is 6 simple ingredients. They’re the perfect addition to any breakfast or brunch… or if you’re that kind of person… they’re the only thing you need!
You can’t go wrong with a recipe that’s made with just 6 ingredients. I try to keep a roll of refrigerated crescent rolls on hand for last minute breakfast guests… and these are one of my favorite things to make!
- 1 package refrigerated crescent rolls
- 4 oz. plain cream cheese
- 3/4 c. cherry pie filling
- 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
These are incredibly easy to make, especially when you start with cold crescent rolls and cold cream cheese. I prefer using a brick of cream cheese since it is firmer than the spreadable type.
It can be a little bit tricky to roll the dough once the filling is inside, but my suggestion is to just go for it. You can always tuck any stray cherries back inside once you are finished.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Unroll crescent dough onto a greased baking pan.
- Spoon 1/2 ounce cream cheese and 1 1/2 Tablespoons cherry pie filling onto each section of dough.
- Starting at the wide end, roll dough into a crescent shape.
- Spread 2 inches apart on the baking pan and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on baking pan for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth; drizzle generously onto baked turnovers.
🍎 Recipe variations
- Substitute apple, peach, blueberry, or any flavor of pie filling
- Substitute puff pastry for the crescent rolls
- Use flavored cream cheese (be sure it is well chilled)
- Add 1 teaspoon chopped nuts to each crescent roll
- Substitute almond extract for the vanilla
- Omit the cream cheese
- Omit the icing and sprinkle warm crescent rolls with powdered sugar
Leftovers can be stored, covered, at room temperature for 2-3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
To freeze, prepare turnovers and bake them according to the instructions. Let them cool completely on a wire rack. Do NOT top with icing. Transfer cooled, baked turnovers to a freezer container and freeze up to 3 months. To use, remove them from the freezer and bake them in a 350° oven for 15 minutes or until heated through. Remove them from the oven and drizzle with icing.
🍋 Related recipes
- Apple Pie Crescent Rolls
- Lemon Cheesecake Crescent Rolls
- Blueberry Cheesecake Crescent Rolls
- Strawberry Lemon Crescent Rolls
- Hot Chocolate Crescent Rolls
- S’mores Crescent Rolls
Cherry Turnovers are a classic breakfast pastry, and this easy recipe is our favorite. It starts with refrigerated crescent rolls filled with cherry pie filling and cream cheese, then baked to perfection and topped with a sweet vanilla icing. So simple and so delicious... the perfect breakfast treat! Recipe variations:
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 117Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 65mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 0gSugar: 8gProtein: 1g
Cherry Turnovers are a classic breakfast pastry, and this easy recipe is our favorite. It starts with refrigerated crescent rolls filled with cherry pie filling and cream cheese, then baked to perfection and topped with a sweet vanilla icing. So simple and so delicious... the perfect breakfast treat!
leave a reply