This Butternut Squash Lasagna is the ultimate fall comfort food.
It combines layers of creamy ricotta, butternut squash, fresh spinach, and gooey mozzarella in a cheesy vegetable lasagna that everyone is sure to love.
This recipe is easy to make ahead and perfect for busy weeknights or weekend family meals. And it would make a delicious addition to any holiday menu!
I partnered with Pick ‘n Save to bring you this recipe. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Lemon Tree Dwelling possible.
Let’s talk about fall comfort foods for a second. Shall we? Because fall is clearly here, and as much as I don’t love it, I have no option but to embrace it. Bring on the boots and the scarves and the sweaters. Bring on all things pumpkin spice. And….bring on the food!
There’s just something about cozy, hearty meals that gets me every time. And this Butternut Squash Lasagna definitely fits the bill.
It’s packed with butternut squash, fresh spinach, creamy ricotta, and gooey mozzarella cheese. It’s a delicious blend of savory and sweet, and absolutely perfect for fall!
And because it’s such a great dish to make in advance, it really is perfect for anytime….including the holidays.
Best of all, you can find everything you need to make this yummy lasagna at Pick ‘n Save! From the fresh butternut squash to the Roundy’s eggs to the three different types of cheese, Pick ‘n Save has it all.
And if you’re looking for more ways to use butternut squash, check out my Maple Bacon Roasted Butternut Squash and my Butternut Squash Crostini. I know squash can be a little daunting…but once you know what to do with it, the possibilities really are endless.
- 16 lasagna noodles
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 c. Roundy’s milk
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 8 oz. fresh spinach
- 1 c. chopped onon
- 15 oz. ricotta cheese
- 1 c. Roundy’s shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 c. Roundy’s shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 large Roundy’s eggs, beaten
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Combine butternut squash, milk, and nutmeg in a food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package instructions.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and spinach; saute 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Set aside.
- Beat eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add ricotta, parmesan, mozzarella, salt, and pepper.
- Add spinach mixture to ricotta mixture and stir to combine.
- Spread a small amount of butternut squash sauce onto the bottom of a greased 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Add a layer of lasagna noodles, followed by a layer of ricotta mixture and 1/2 c. mozzarella.
- Add a layer of butternut squash sauce, followed by 1/2 c. mozzarella.
- Continue layering, ending with a layer of mozzarella on top.
How to roast butternut squash
- Cut squash in half lengthwise.
- Remove seeds and place each half face down on a greased baking pan.
- Roast at 400° for 45 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Remove from oven and cool.
In addition to roasting, butternut squash can be boiled, steamed, baked, pureed, or even microwaved. The goal in any of these methods is to soften the flesh and bring out all its delicious flavor.
What does it taste like?
Butternut squash has a sweet, nutty flavor that can be compared to sweet potatoes, turnips, or carrots. It is a versatile squash that can take on both savory and sweet flavor combinations. Butternut squash can be combined with savory herbs and spices in a dish like this Butternut Squash Lasagna, or with sweeter spices like cinnamon for desserts or sweeter side dishes.
Is it good for you?
Yes! Butternut Squash is a nutrient-dense food that’s low in calories and fat. It’s an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, folate, potassium, and fiber. In addition to the flesh, the seeds are rich in protein, zinc, and unsaturated fat.
More butternut squash recipes
- Roasted Butternut Squash
- Butternut Squash Crostini
- Butternut Squash Stuffing
- Butternut Squash Risotto
- Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
- Maple Bacon Butternut Squash
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 296Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 431mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 19g