Mac and Cheese is a family favorite, and this Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese is such a fun twist. Thick, creamy, and packed with spicy Buffalo flavor… it’s the ultimate comfort food with a delicious kick!
We love all things Buffalo Chicken, and this macaroni & cheese is one of our family’s all time favorites. It’s cheesy and gooey and has the most amazing flavor. We literally can’t get enough of it!
It starts with creamy, homemade Mac and Cheese made with a combination of cheddar, Monterey Jack, and cream cheese. Which is delicious all on its own… but when you top it with crispy Buffalo Chicken, it’s absolutely amazing.
I’ve made it countless times, and everyone who has tried it agrees it’s the BEST mac & cheese they’ve ever tasted. It has a flavorful kick without being too spicy, and the addition of chicken makes it a completely satisfying main dish.
Best of all, it makes a huge batch, which makes it perfect for family dinners, parties, or get togethers!
The key to this recipe (aside from the Buffalo Chicken) is the cheese! It calls for not one, not two, but three different types of cheese, which makes it the creamiest mac & cheese ever!
For the chicken, you can find numerous varieties in the freezer section at your local grocery store. You can also used any type of chicken – rotisserie, grilled, breaded – tossed in buffalo sauce.
- 1/2 c. salted butter
- 1/2 c. all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 5 c. whole milk
- 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 oz. shredded monterey jack cheese
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 c. buffalo sauce
- 1 lb. macaroni noodles
- 1 package Buffalo Style Boneless Chicken Bites
- 1 green onion, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Cook the noodles.
- Make the roux by combining melted butter and flour in a large saucepan. Cook, stirring, 5-6 minutes until thickened.
- Make the cheese sauce by adding seasonings and milk and cooking until thick and bubbly. Stir in the cheese.
- Add the buffalo sauce and cooked noodles.
- Transfer to a 9×13 inch casserole dish.
- Bake the mac & cheese and chicken bites for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven; toss chicken in buffalo sauce.
- Chop the chicken and add to mac & cheese.
- Sprinkle with chopped green onions and season with pepper.
🥓 Recipe variations
Looking for some fun ways to switch things up? Here are some tried and true variations on this recipe:
- Add 6 oz. cooked bacon
- Top with crumbled blue cheese
- Substitute white cheddar or mozzarella for the monterey jack
- Add 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper to the seasoning mix
- Stir 2 Tbsp. green onions or chives into the mac & cheese before baking
- Top with 1/2 c. additional shredded cheese before baking
- Reduce milk to 4 cups for a stovetop version (skip the baking)
♨️ Storing & reheating
Leftovers can be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. To reheat, add milk and stir. Mac & Cheese can be reheated in the oven at 350° or in a saucepan on the stove.
This recipe can also be made ahead and frozen for later use. To make ahead, prepare according to recipe instructions, but instead of baking, pour it into a 9×13 inch pan and cover tightly with foil. Freeze for up to 6 months. When you’re ready to use it, keep it covered with foil and pop it in a 400° oven for 1 hour.
🌭 Related recipes
When it comes to buffalo chicken, the possibilities are endless. From sandwiches to pizza to dips and more… these are some of our favorites!
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza Cups
- Southwest Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Bowls
- Buffalo Hot Dogs
- Loaded Mac & Cheese
- Chili Mac
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 347Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 536mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 16g