BLT Avocado Toast is one of our all time favorite combinations.
Toasted whole grain bread topped with mashed avocado, arugula, smokehouse barbecue bacon, chopped tomatoes, and a secret ingredient mayo sauce, this avocado toast is anything but basic.
It makes a delicious meal any time of day and also doubles as the perfect snack. If you love BLT’s, this avocado toast is a must try!
I partnered with Pick ‘n Save to bring you this recipe. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Lemon Tree Dwelling possible!
Avocados: love ’em or leave ’em?
Personally, I love them…although that hasn’t always been the case. For about half of my life, actually, I was under the impression that avocados weren’t for me. Looking back, I cannot for the life of me understand why.
All I know is that somewhere along the line, things changed. And now…I’m obsessed. I love avocado in salads, on sandwiches, in guacamole (of course), and I especially love it on this BLT Avocado Toast.
Adding avocado to BLT’s is nothing new, but believe me when I say you’ve never tasted something as delicious as this. Between the Simple Truth Whole Grain Bread, the Smokehouse Barbecue Bacon, the fresh arugula, and the grape tomatoes, the flavors are spot on. And when you drizzle the bacon mayo on top? It’s almost too good to be true.
Best of all, you can find everything you need to make this recipe at your local Pick ‘n Save! And I have to say…the Smokehouse Barbecue Bacon, which is a new specialty bacon available at the meat counter, is what really takes this avocado toast to the next level.
WHAT IS AVOCADO TOAST?
Basically, avocado toast is creamy mashed avocado spread onto toasted bread. It can be seasoned simply with salt and pepper, topped with a fried egg, or dressed up with any number of different ingredients.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN THIS RECIPE?
- Whole grain bread
HOW DO YOU MAKE BLT AVOCADO TOAST?
- Toast the bread until crispy.
- Mash avocado to your desired level of creaminess – feel free to leave some larger chunks!
- Spread avocado onto bread; top with tomatoes, bacon, and arugula.
- Combine mayo and reserved bacon grease; drizzle over the top.
- Season with salt & pepper.
WHERE DID AVOCADO TOAST ORIGINATE?
It is believed that avocado toast originated in Sydney, Australia, when Chef Bill Granger of Bill’s Restaurant put it on his menu back in 1993. Its popularity in the US can be traced to Chef Chloe Osborne, who ate avocado toast while visiting Australia and loved it so much she decided to add it to the menu at NYC’s Cafe Gitane.
WHAT KIND OF BREAD IS BEST FOR THIS RECIPE?
When you’re making avocado toast, you want to look for bread that’s hearty and can hold up to all the toppings. I would also suggest a larger loaf so you have more surface area to work with. I used Simple Truth Whole Grain Bread, but any type of bread with sturdy slices will work well.
WHAT CAN YOU USE IN PLACE OF ARUGULA?
I chose arugula for this recipe because of its sharp, peppery flavor. You could substitute any type of lettuce, including romaine, spinach, spring greens, or even iceberg.
WHAT KIND OF BACON IS BEST?
Any kind of bacon will be delicious in this recipe, but I chose to use Smokehouse Barbecue Bacon, a new specialty bacon available at Pick ‘n Save. I love the smoky flavor it adds to this avocado toast, and especially the great flavor it adds to the mayo. If you don’t live near a Pick ‘n Save or aren’t able to find this kind of bacon, feel free to use regular bacon or another flavor of your choice.
WHY MIX THE BACON GREASE IN WITH THE MAYO?
- It adds the most amazing flavor
- It thins out the mayo so it can be drizzled on top
- There’s no waste!
HOW DO YOU EAT AVOCADO TOAST?
Avocado Toast can be served for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, and also makes a great snack. For a more satisfying meal, I would suggest topping it with some type of protein, such as eggs, beans, meat, or cheese.
Looking for more BLT recipes? Here are some of my favorites:
- BLT Dip
- BLT Caesar Salad
- BLT Bagel Bites
- BLT Chicken Salad
- BLT Chicken Nachos
- Cheddar Ranch BLT Brats
- BLT Egg Salad
And another Avocado Toast recipe for good measure!
1. Chop bacon and pan fry until crispy. Reserve grease in pan. 2. Peel and mash avocados until creamy. 3. Toast bread; top with mashed avocado, chopped tomatoes, bacon, and arugula. 4. In a small bowl, combine mayo and reserved bacon grease. Mix well. 5. Drizzle mayo over avocado toast. 6. Sprinkle with salt and pepper as desired.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 759 Total Fat: 36g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 26g Cholesterol: 101mg Sodium: 2099mg Carbohydrates: 68g Fiber: 10g Sugar: 41g Protein: 42g
1. Chop bacon and pan fry until crispy. Reserve grease in pan.
2. Peel and mash avocados until creamy.
3. Toast bread; top with mashed avocado, chopped tomatoes, bacon, and arugula.
4. In a small bowl, combine mayo and reserved bacon grease. Mix well.
5. Drizzle mayo over avocado toast.
6. Sprinkle with salt and pepper as desired.