Quinoa Taco Bowls

Healthy, delicious Quinoa Taco Bowls combine the flavors of taco salad with the added benefits of quinoa for a main dish that everyone is sure to love!

Quinoa Taco Bowls - a delicious, family friendly quinoa recipe!

Quinoa – it’s one of those things I am bound and determined to make my family love. Not only is it a healthy, inexpensive option; it’s also extremely versatile! The possibilities of what you can do with quinoa seem almost limitless – along the lines of pasta or risotto – which makes dinner prep infinitely easier! If you have quinoa in the cupboard, you can pretty much mix it with anything and call it dinner. The key, though, is getting your family on board….!

Quinoa Taco Bowls - a delicious, family friendly quinoa recipe!

To be honest, I have shied away from doing much with quinoa….not because of my kids, but because of my husband!! Jorden is not typically the most adventurous eater (he scoffs at couscous and wants nothing to do with kale)….and after making quinoa once without much of a reaction, I was convinced he had placed it in the same category as all the other things he has no interest in! But I decided to try it one more time, just to be sure.

Quinoa Taco Bowls - a delicious, family friendly quinoa recipe!

I knew that my best bet was combining quinoa with something my family already loves, and when it comes to deciphering what my family loves most, the answer is clear: TACOS!! I’m pretty sure they could eat tacos a few times a week without any complaints, and there are plenty of weeks we have tacos one night and a different Mexican dish another. Which is totally fine with me – there’s nothing quicker or easier than tacos, and I love all Mexican food (especially when I can have a margarita to go with it)! I decided to go for it.

Quinoa Taco Bowls - a delicious, family friendly quinoa recipe!

I actually eliminated the meat altogether, since quinoa is a complete protein, and I simply added the taco seasoning to the cooked quinoa. Then I piled on our favorite toppings – lettuce, tomatoes, black beans, avocado, black olives, shredded cheese, sour cream, and salsa – and we were all set! Time for the true test. I held my breath as everyone took their first bite…..and lo and behold, they all loved it! And when I say loved it, I mean there were NO complaints out of anyone’s mouth. I’m not sure about your house, but around here that says A LOT!! So I guess quinoa is back on the table. Success!!!!!

Quinoa Taco Bowls - a delicious, family friendly quinoa recipe!

Quinoa Taco Bowls

Cook time

• 1½ c. dried quinoa
  • 3 c. water
  • 1 (1.3 oz.) package taco seasoning
  • 1 (14 oz.) can black beans
  • 8 oz. shredded cheese
  • 3 c. chopped lettuce
  • 1-2 tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 avocado, chopped
  • 1 small can sliced black olives, drained
  • salsa
  • sour cream
  1. Cook quinoa according to package instructions.
  2. Stir in taco seasoning.
  3. Spoon flavored quinoa into bowls; add toppings as desired.

Quinoa Taco Bowls - a delicious, family friendly quinoa recipe!

If you like this recipe, check out the delicious Blender Black Bean Soup I created for sponsored post with El Yucateco:

Black Bean Soup 1

Comments

I need to try this! I want to like quinoa.. I really do! Its so versatile like you said. I will try this and recipe and hope my family likes it!

I’m in the same boat as you! My husband doesn’t like quinoa. I’ve tried to load it up with tons of other goodies but the second he sees a quinoa he’s out. While I’d love to cook more with it, it’s hard to make something that I know he won’t eat. I love love love this dish! It’s simple and it looks so yummy! I’ll happily make this just for me and have lots of leftovers. :) Pinned!

Ugh, my husband is the exact same way!! He wants absolutely nothing to do with kale and doesn’t care for quinoa, needless to say, he did not like my kale and quiona salad, haha! He does love Mexican food though, so maybe I can get him on board with this dish :)

I love making taco salad and love including quinoa in just about anything. Wish I’d thought to add it to my taco salad before this. Thanks for sharing on Wonderful Wednesday.

What a great way to use quinoa! I’m always looking for new ways to cook it, and I love this! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

This is amazing. I think my family could mirror yours (our hubbies could be twins). I did just buy a package of quinoa for myself though for the first time and I’ve been dreaming up ways to prepare it. This will make a perfect weekday dinner!

This looks like a delicious idea for a quick meal! I love taco flavored dishes, and this looks so easy to put together. The quinoa just makes it better. Thanks for sharing!

8. Sherie says

This is so good. I just got done making it all though I didn’t make as much since it was just me. While I was cooking the Quinoa I added alittle bit of dried red and green peppers and dried onion. Once it was done cooking I eyeballed the taco seasoning and added chili powder ( I have a big tub of taco seasoning) I put some black beans in the pan to heat them up then added the salsa and added the amount of Quinoa I wanted. Stirred it up and added it to my bed of lettuce with Cheddar cheese, Sour cream, and Tortilla strips. Perfect lunch and hit the spot.

9. Raven says

I went to the grocery store looking for quinoa. When I found it I was shocked. Quinoa was $7 for a small bag. That is ridiculous and certainly not inexpensive. Needless to say I didn’t buy it. I’ll. Just have to use rice.

10. Robin says

Really want to make this. It sounds delicious!! It would just be me and my youngest daughter eating it, but that’s ok! My question is when do you add in the black beans? Or are they considered one of the toppings?

11. Coco says

My husband makes something similar to this, although instead of using taco seasoning mix and salsa, he uses a can of rotel (diced green chilis and tomatoes). It is delish!

12. Ziva says

LOVE this recipe. So easy, so good and hubby-approved. He usually requires all meals to have meat in them, but I can get him to eat this because of the protein packed quinoa. I found we need more taco seasoning than recommended, but maybe that’s just me.