Banana Split Dump Cake

Banana Split Dump Cake – with all the flavors of a Banana Split -  is the perfect no-melt alternative to the real thing!

Is it just me, or do kids seem to have no end to their desire or love for ice cream?? Seriously! I feel like not a day goes by when my kids DON’T ask for ice cream….especially when it’s hot outside and their favorite thing to do is open the freezer to stand in the doorway. (Remember doing that as a kid?) And while they’re standing there, of course, they just happen to see the ice cream sitting there….and suddenly they just HAVE to have it! Every time! Of course, my job as a parent is to say NO at least half the time, and I do….although I have to admit the other day they had ice cream for breakfast!

Let me explain. It’s simple, really….the kids wanted smoothies, we were out of yogurt, and vanilla ice cream seemed like a logical alternative. The “smoothies” were delicious….except, of course, they weren’t really smoothies at all. They were milkshakes!! And my kids, of course, thought it was the BEST DAY EVER….because Mom let them have ice cream for breakfast. They’ll probably remember the “ice cream for breakfast” day forever, because that’s what kids do! They store fun memories involving ice cream…I’m convinced!

I have my own repertoire of fun ice cream memories from my childhood, like riding on the bike trail with my sisters to Le Duc’s, or visiting friends in Minnesota and getting McDonald’s ice cream cones that had to be at least 6 inches high, or my mom letting us make giant sundaes one time when my dad was out of town….and then eat them with a giant spoon! One of my craziest memories involving ice cream is from a friend’s birthday party at a place called The Chocolate Factory, where they made the world’s craziest ice cream sundae: a scoop of every flavor of ice cream, plus a drizzle or sprinkle of every topping, plenty of whipped cream, and a handful of cherries on top. Every kid was given a spoon….and we dug in! Definitely questionable, when I look back…..but SO FUN in the moment!!

AND….the inspiration for this cake! If The Chocolate Factory can dump a bunch of things in a bowl and call it a sundae, then why can’t I dump a bunch of things in a pan and call it a cake? Of course, dump cake is far from an original idea….but I thought it would be fun to turn traditional dump cake into an ice cream sundae-inspired dessert. Thanks to my days working at Murf’s Frozen Custard in high school, I know exactly what goes into a true banana split: vanilla ice cream, strawberries, pineapple, chocolate syrup, crushed nuts, whipped cream, and, of course, bananas!! Since half of these ingredients are basic dump cake staples, it was a no-brainer! (I just dumped the rest of the ingredients right on top!) So here it is – Banana Split Dump Cake – inspired by many memories of ice cream. Have you made any ice cream memories of your own this summer??

Banana Split Dump Cake

Cook time

• 1 (21 oz.) can strawberry pie filling
  • 1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple (don't drain)
  • 1 white cake mix, dry
  • 1 stick margarine, cut in pieces
  • 1 c. coconut
  • ½ c. crushed nuts
  • For topping: sliced bananas, whipped cream, chocolate syrup
  1. Spread the strawberry pie filling in a greased 9x13 inch cake pan*.
  2. Spoon on the pineapple, then the dry cake mix, then the margarine.
  3. Top with coconut and crushed nuts.
  4. Bake at 325 degrees for 60-75 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
  5. Before serving, top individual pieces with sliced bananas, whipped cream, and chocolate syrup.
  6. *I made mine in a round Corningware dish, but traditional dump cake is made in a 9x13 inch pan.

You might also enjoy these other fun summer treats:

Comments

I’m glad you have some good ice cream memories from growing up. When we went to Disney World we ate ice cream sundaes for supper our last night in the condo. We HAD to finish up all the ingredients before we left the next day. Ice cream is one of your dad’s all-time favorites. This really looks good. How about adding a scoop of ice cream on top of the cake? And serving it for breakfast? ☺

OMG FROZEN CUSTARD?! You worked at a FROZEN CUSTARD place? Here in New England, we don’t have it. My parents moved to Indianapolis after I graduated from college and discovered it there. When I visited I would gain at least 5 lbs every trip because of the delicious frozen custard. They moved back to Boston since so it’s ice cream for us, frozen yogurt or gelato. Anyway! This dump cake looks so yummy and I know my girls would love it – it’s healthy with the fruit, right? ;)

Haha, kids seem to remember the things you don’t want them to. Now, they’ll always say, “but mom, you let us have icecream for breakfast before…” then give you that look that kids give to guilt you into doing it again. My son hasn’t started that, but I know I used to as a kid so I’m expecting that. :) That cake looks delicious, btw

My best childhood ice cream memory…my parents were out of town for a few days, and the babysitter let us eat corn flakes with vanilla ice cream for breakfast!!

I normally make cherry dump cake, but your variation sounds really yummy. Thanks for sharing!

Dear Cathy, I just came over from Whimsy Wednesday. What a beautiful and delicious dessert! …I still stand by the freezer door when it’s especially hot to take out ice cream. I guess I’m just a big kid at heart. But I love ice cream…I even suggested to me kids when it was 100 degrees the other day if they would mind just having ice cream for dinner…but like you said it’s a fun memory to have. I love the story behind this dump cake. I hope you have a beautiful week, so happy to have found your beautiful site. Now following. Blessings, Catherine xo

I love this dessert. I used to make something like it a long time ago but haven’t in quite some time. It brought back memories.
    Have a great weekend,
    Bev

just found you from CRAFT and this is totally awesome! I love things with ice cream and even better with a banana split! Come share it at our link party www {dot} theprincesandhercowboys {dot} com! Thanks again!

8. Carol Dierking says

Wonder if I could slice bananas ahead of time with some lemon juice so I’m not serving company and having to stand there slicing bananas on each piece of cake. Otherwise, sounds great!

9. LINDA ORR says

THE DUMP CAKE RECIPE SOUNDS GREAT. WE’LL (THE LADIES & I) PREPARE IT –& CONSUME IT — AT OUR NEXT MISSIONS MEETING AT CHURCH.

Today, while I was at work, my sister stole my iphone and tested to see if it can survive a forty foot
    drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is now broken and she has 83 views.
    I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share it with someone!

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought
    this post was great. I don’t know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already
    ;) Cheers!

Researchers and physicians are starting to endorse
    the sexual health benefits of incorporating the vibrators and other sex
    toys into health sex positive relationships.
    Rabbit vibrators are phallus like sex toys, which are displayed in the showrooms of entertainment shops.
    A healthy sex life will help you keep the relationship running longer.

An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto
    a colleague who had been doing a little homework on this.
    And he in fact ordered me dinner due to the fact that I discovered it
    for him… lol. So let me reword this…. Thank
    YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending time to discuss this issue here on your blog.