Lemon Bar Muddy Buddies

White Chocolate & Lemon Curd Muddy Buddies are the perfect summer treat….and taste just like real Lemon Bars!

Lemon Bar Muddy Buddies - made with white chocolate & lemon curd. Tastes just like real lemon bars!

One of the things I love most about food is that there’s always a story to go along with it. Food is full of memories….and every now and then we have a memory that takes us back to a time loooooong ago. Whenever I make muddy buddies, or eat them, or even smell them…..it brings me right back to middle school. Sleepovers. Staying up as late as we possibly could, munching on junk food, making random phone calls and trying on each other’s clothes. Ahhh, those were the days.

One of our favorite sleepover snacks was – you guessed it – muddy buddies (or puppy chow, or monkey munch, or whatever you call it…)! If you haven’t had the original muddy buddies, you are seriously missing out. Peanut butter, chocolate, powdered sugar….you really can’t go wrong. And I know they always say you shouldn’t mess with perfection, but I just couldn’t help myself!

I am loving all things lemon lately – especially lemon curd! Have you tried it? It tastes just like lemon bar filling, straight from a jar! I am always looking for new ways to use it (although I must admit, eating it straight from the jar seems like a pretty good option)….so when Lemon Bar Muddy Buddies came to mind, I knew they would be TO DIE FOR!! And I was right.

The crunchy Chex and the creamy lemon and the powdered sugar coating….are you kidding me? It’s a no-brainer! You couldn’t get more “lemon bar” than this unless you actually just made lemon bars. But who would want to do that when they could just do this?  I didn’t think so!

Lemon Bar Muddy Buddies

• 8 c. Rice Chex cereal
  • 1 c. white chocolate chips or candy melts
  • ½ c. lemon curd
  • ¼ c. butter
  • 1½ c. powdered sugar
  1. Melt white chocolate, butter, and lemon curd in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly.
  2. Pour Rice Chex into a large paper bag (grocery size) and pour melted lemon mixture over cereal. Fold the bag to seal and shake to coat cereal.
  3. Add powdered sugar to paper bag and shake once more to coat.
  4. Spread out on cookie sheet to cool; once completely cool, store at room temperature in airtight containers.

Looking for more delicious ways to use lemon curd? I’ve got you covered!

Thanks for taking a peek inside my Lemon Tree Dwelling….

I hope you feel right at home!

-Cathy

Comments

OMG! Do these sound outrageous or what?!?! I’m “in” for anything lemon!! I’m going to make these today!!
    Thank you Cathy for this awesome idea!

I’m gaining weight just reading this.. sounds so delicious! I did a big round up of lemon desserts, too
    Cindy @ sunsetcoasting.blogspot.com

I’m a big fan of Muddy Buddies and this seems like a very “grown up” twist on them. Would be a perfect snack for a baby or bridal shower. Thanks for sharing! I’m pinning this one ;)

My sister just made this recipe last night, she just added more of each ingredient.. And OH MY GOSH! It was SO amazingly tasty, that I went to the store today and bought all the ingredient’s and am making it this weekend! So excited!

• says

Hi Jeanne,
      Yes, you can buy lemon curd at the grocery store. It is not the same as pie filling. I got mine at Trader Joe’s, but many larger grocery stores carry it. I believe it is near the jelly/jam. Hope this helps!

• says

Yes I found it ! I got everything ready to make it and realized I forgot my white chips! Lol so ill make them later after I go out and plant my flowers! Thanks so much!

Great idea but they didn’t quite turn out for me. The taste was wonderful but the texture was mushy. The cereal lost more and more of its crunch every hour. I was so disappointed! Do you have any suggestions? I used homemade lemon curd – could that be why? I could try it with store bought curd but I’m hesitant to try it again…did it twice already! My sister-in-law thought I might need to change the ratio of white chocolate to curd, increasing the chocolate. I really wanted these to be as awesome as they sounded!!! Any help would be appreciated!

• says

Hi Leslie, So sorry they didn’t turn out for you! One question: Did you spread them out on a cookie sheet to cool? They should be in a single layer to prevent sogginess. My other suggestion is to increase the cereal to 8 or 9 cups (the amount called for in the original muddy buddy recipe). I always like mine extra coated so that’s why I had 6 cups originally….but I actually just changed my recipe so each piece is a little less saturated. So sorry they weren’t what you expected….I hope you try them again and let me know how they turn out! :)

• says

Leslie, I had the same problem, the cereal got mushy. I used homemade lemon curd. I am going to try it one more time with the store bought curd. My curd was more like pudding and curd should be like jelly?

• says

Yes, lemon curd should be more like jelly. Increasing the cereal to 8 cups also really does help keep it crunchy. The recipe now reflects this change, so be sure to follow the current recipe above!! :)

I just made this but with a twist. My grocery store had the curds on sale and all the lemon was gone, naturally, so I got lime curd. It turned out amazingly! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

• says

Awesome! I’m sure it would be delicious!! I went looking for lime curd the other day but my store was all out of it….I guess both are pretty popular right now. I’ll have to try the lime version soon!

Just made these for my folks…they were impressed with how “domestic” I was! I didn’t see the need to tell them I just shook everything up in a paper bag. :-) Anyway, they were a big hit…not sure if they’ll survive the night, though!

Hello – I just tried to make these and am wondering if maybe using the white chocolate candy melts might work better? I tried twice to melt the chocolate chips with the butter – first over direct heat and then over a double boiler. Although the double boiler worked better – both times the chocolate wanted to ball up and separate from the butter. I finally was able to incorporate the lemon curd but not without taking out a lot of the melted butter. They are delicious now that I got them together but I’m wondering what happened because from the way the recipe is written it sounded like the chocolate lemon mixture should “pour” and mine just globbed. I had to stir the chex to get them somewhat coated. Any suggestions?

• says

Hi Karen, Sorry you are having trouble! It’s possible that white chocolate candy melts would work better, but I did make mine with white chocolate chips. I just melted the chocolate chips and butter slowly over low heat. It wasn’t smooth melting, but as soon as I added the lemon curd it all came together and was smooth. Did you try adding the lemon curd before you took the butter out? I will try it again this weekend with candy melts and let you know how it works!

• says

I made them again tonight and added the lemon curd to the white chocolate & butter BEFORE melting. I tried it first with candy melts and then with white chocolate chips, and found that both melted equally well. So I think the key to great melting is to add the lemon curd right away, instead of waiting. I’ve changed the recipe to reflect this. Sorry about the trouble you had – I am confident this will help! :)

Just made these for the family 4th celebration tomorrow – hope they last through the night!! My store did not have lemon curd, so I used lemon pie filling (the same amount as the recipe) but added the zest and juice of one lemon. Did not have a big enough bag to shake them in, so I used a large mixing bowl just folded the white chocolate mixture in. Used a little more powdered sugar than the recipe called for and had about 10 cups of cereal total. Spread it all out on my island on top of wax paper. THEY ARE DELICIOUS!! Thank you!!

These look yummy but where can I get a clean brown paper grocery bag. I don’t think I’ve see anything but plastic grocery bags in a long time.

I JUST made these because I crave all things lemon right now (preggo!!). They are still cooling on the backing sheets but they are already delicious!! They are going to be a huge hit at my gender reveal party! Thank you for the recipe!

I just made these for a family party and they’re delicious! I didn’t have any problem with sogginess. It’s hard to coat evenly but I just used a spoon to try to even it out. I also doubled the recipe.

13. Lindsay D. Luna says

I’m apparently late in finding this! It may be January, but this is so refreshing it feels like spring in my mind!!!! Thankyou!!!

14. Erin says

How long does this keep. I was thinking of making this as a party favor but I don’t want to make it too far in advance of the party if it doesn’t keep well. Thanks!

15. Kristina Albright says

Just happened on this via My Favorite Things blog. Cant wait to try them! We love the original muddy buddies but I have a son with a peanut allergy so this will be a fun one we all can enjoy. (I sub sunflower seed butter for PB when I make muddy buddies which makes them taste pretty darn close!)

16. JoeyfromSC says

You had me at LEMON lol:) LOVE this recipe & I will try it for sure! I love the original ones too & used to make them alot when I raised my brothers..I have a huge sweet tooth ha

Hope you had a happy Easter!

17. Emily says

I can’t find lemon curd anywhere near me, so I bought Lemon Creme (lemon pie filling). Do you think this will work ok, or should I keep hunting for lemon curd?

18. tessa says

Just made these they’re very good. Next time I will v use lemon cake mix instead of powdered sugar. Kids loved them.

I love that you came up with these.. I love the original muddy buddy’s, with the chocolate and peanut butter, but recently was diagnosed with a peanut/tree nut allergies…. no peanut butter.. :( but I love lemon also, and these are definately going to be made.. thanks for sharing :)