Chicken Spinach Artichoke Pizza

Spinach_Artichoke_Pizza_Recipes.jpg

One of my favorite childhood memories is making homemade pizza with my dad. Maybe it’s because it was the one meal he was always in charge of, or maybe it’s because the whole family got involved in making it, or maybe it’s because my dad would give us a little piece of dough to play with while he did the hard part….. but whatever the reason, homemade pizza nights were always something to look forward to!
In fact, when we celebrated my parents’ 40th wedding anniversary recently, my siblings and I came up with a list of 40 things their love has created. “Cravings for homemade pizza” was number 15.

As an adult, I haven’t been great about creating mealtime traditions for our family. I make a lot of meals, and we sit down to eat them together, but I guess I like to mix it up too much to have specific meals that my kids know and ask for (unless you include mac & cheese and quesadillas….)

Case in point: this pizza. I know I’ve been leading you to believe that I’m sharing my family’s pizza recipe with you today….(you wish!) But I’m actually not. This is actually nothing like the pizza from my childhood… because as much as I love the pizza from my childhood, what I love (even more) is coming up with new ideas and giving them a whirl. (No worries – I will share my family’s pizza recipe with you soon – I promise!)

So here’s my whirl at Chicken Spinach Artichoke Pizza. With the Superbowl upon us, I’ve been playing around with turning party dips into main dishes. I always struggle with what to serve as the main dish at a party, so why not take my cue from the things that always go over well: the dips?? One of my favorite go-to dips is spinach dip – you know the one you pick up from the deli? Yep, that one. It’s quick, it’s easy, and everyone likes it. Even my kids.

So why not use it on pizza, in place of sauce? And then why not load on more spinach (the more, the merrier), some artichoke hearts (spinach’s best friend), chicken (universally well-liked), tomatoes (they’re pretty), and cheese (no explanation necessary!) You got it.

I guess I’m hoping that, even if my kids won’t have memories of specific meals I always made, they will have a sense that food is something to be celebrated and enjoyed….and that cooking it can even be kind of fun!  :)

Pizza Crust (recipe source here)
1 1/3 c lukewarm water
1 packet granulated yeast
2 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/8 c olive oil
3 1/4 c flour (I used half all-purpose and half whole wheat)

1. In a large bowl, mix yeast, salt, sugar, and olive oil with water.
2. Mix in the flour without kneading.
3. Cover (not airtight) and allow to rest at room temperature until dough rises and collapses (or flattens on top), approx 2 hours.
4. Dough can be used immediately or refrigerated in a lidded (not airtight) container for up to 12 days.

Makes 2 pizzas.

Chicken Spinach Artichoke Pizza
3/4 cup spinach dip
1 cup fresh spinach, torn
1 (7.5 oz) jar marinated artichoke hearts
1 roma tomato, chopped
2 large chicken breasts, cooked & chopped
1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese

1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Roll out pizza crust to desired size and bake 5 minutes in preheated oven.
3. Top with spinach dip, spinach, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, chicken, and cheese.
4. Bake at 425 degrees for 18-20 minutes.

Enjoy!!

Linking up to these great parties this week!

Thanks for taking a peek inside my Lemon Tree Dwelling!
I hope you feel right at home :)
Cathy

Comments

• says

I considered calling it “Not your Mother’s/Father’s Pizza”…but I thought I might be the only one who thought that was funny :) We’ll have to have it for lunch sometime when you are here!

We’ve just barely got on the homemade pizza making bandwagon. I can’t believe we’ve been missing out all these years, haha! It’s SO good! And this pizza looks delicious – I can’t wait to try it out. And I’m excited for the recipe that you used to make with your own family!

Yum!! I love pizza with chicken on it….one of our favorites is with pesto for sauce, chicken, artichokes, and mozz cheese. I think the spinach would be a great addition, I will have to remember it next time I make pizza.

I co-host a blog hop called Healthy Tuesdays Blog Hop and I would love to invite you to participate- recipes like this would be a great addition. Here is our link for this week’s hop: http://www.countrylivingonahill.com/2013/02/thanks-to-everyone-who-links-up-each.html
    I hope you stop by and check it out, we would love to have you join us.
    Kerry from Country Living On A Hill

Saw this post over at Hungry Little Girl and knew I had to come check it out! I love homemade pizza, and creating memories with my family! The toppings on this pizza are some of my favorite flavors! I absolutely cannot wait to try!

Mmmm this pizza sounds SO GOOD and look wonderful, too! YUM!!! I love the spinach and artichoke combination, and it sounds great on pizza with chicken!!!!

Hi Cathy, this pizza contains my favorite ingredients … Delicious! I’m visiting from My Turn (for us) blog hop ~ Your blog is lovely and filled with creative ideas, your new follower Nina

Thanks so much for linking to Make the Scene Monday @ Alderberry Hill. You are being featured tomorrow morning!
    I hope you are having a wonderful weekend, and join me tomorrow night for Make the Scene Monday #61!

Ooh I love making spinach dip from scratch! It’s actually cheaper since frozen spinach is about 1 dollar and then you get your moneys worth from the soup mix. Love! This reminds me of a pizza that our local pizza place has, yummm feta cheese!

This sounds and looks devine! I never thought of spinach dip for the sauce, i have used pesto before, but will defintely be trying this. Thanks for linking up to Talkin’ about Thursday, I hope to see you this week.