Pineapple Upside Down Coffee Cake is the ultimate breakfast treat!
Moist, dense, and packed with delicious pineapple flavor, this coffee cake takes breakfast to the next level.
Easy to make and guaranteed to impress…if you love pineapple, you’ll love this breakfast version of a classic!
You guys. I’m such a sucker for coffee cake. I mean….cake that’s acceptable to eat for breakfast? Sign. Me. Up.
And with Easter just around the corner, I’m pretty sure we’re ALL thinking coffee cake! Because an Easter brunch without it just isn’t the same. Amiright?
Well. You’ve come to the right place. Because this Pineapple Upside Down Coffee cake was made for Easter brunch! Not only it is delicious and fresh and perfect for spring…but it seriously couldn’t be any prettier.
Between the pineapple rings and the maraschino cherries and that gooey brown sugar glaze? This cake is just begging to have place on your Easter table.
And when you shop at Pick ‘n Save, it makes things that much easier! Because Pick ‘n Save is literally a one stop shop for all your Easter brunch needs…including the ingredients for this Pineapple Upside Down Coffee Cake.
From the Kroger sliced pineapple and maraschino cherries to the Roundy’s eggs and milk, I found everything I needed to make this recipe (as I always do when I shop at Pick ‘n Save)!
Ready to find out how?
HOW DO YOU MAKE PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN COFFEE CAKE?
- Melt butter and brown sugar; pour into 9 inch round pan.
- Place pineapple rings on top of brown sugar mixture and place a maraschino cherry in the center of each ring.
- Cream together butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar.
- Add sour cream, milk, egg, pineapple juice, and vanilla. Mix until blended.
- Finely chop reserved pineapple rings and stir into batter.
- Pour batter over pineapple rings in pan; spread evenly.
- Bake; cool 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- Place a serving plate on top of pan and invert cake onto the plate.
CAN YOU USE FRESH PINEAPPLE IN THIS RECIPE?
If you prefer to use fresh pineapple, you absolutely can. It may be easiest to buy a peeled & cored fresh pineapple, then simply slice it into rings. You can also buy a whole pineapple if that’s all that’s available.
WHAT IF YOU DON’T LIKE MARASCHINO CHERRIES?
You can feel free to substitute a different type of cherry in this recipe, but maraschino cherries are traditionally used in Pineapple Upside Down Cake. They’re used more for color and appearance than they are for flavor, as you can easily avoid them when eating the coffee cake.
CAN YOU USE A DIFFERENT SIZE/SHAPE PAN?
Yes. Feel free to use an 8 inch round pan, a 9 inch springform pan, or a square pan in either of these sizes. I found that the 9 inch round worked best for fitting the pineapple rings.
HOW DO YOU INVERT A CAKE?
Here are the steps to inverting a cake:
- Allow the cake to cool 10-15 minutes on a wire rack.
- Loosen the edges with a knife.
- Place a large plate face-side down on top of the cake pan, being sure the entire pan is covered.
- Hold the edges down tightly and quickly flip the cake pan over so the cake ends up on the plate.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 180 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 41mg Sodium: 77mg Carbohydrates: 23g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 22g Protein: 1g