Fire-roasted tomato red pepper soup is an easy, delicious homemade tomato soup made with fire-roasted tomatoes. The warm soup is topped with grilled cheese croutons, making a meal that is comfort food in a bowl!
When it comes to making delicious meals for my family, I go in waves. There are times when we have real, home-cooked meals every night of the week…and then there are times when I want nothing to do with menu planning, shopping, cooking, or even thinking about dinner! I’m sure I speak for many women when I say it’s hard to be the one in charge of feeding a family.
Granted, my kids are pretty adventurous eaters (Greta wanted sushi for her 4th birthday…) but they are still kids! And they would take hicken nuggets over quinoa any day! Which is why it’s so wonderful when I find a meal that’s both nutritious and kid-friendly….especially when it’s also delicious!
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 (14 1/2 oz.) cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 12 oz. jar roasted red peppers
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 grilled cheese sandwiches, cut into "croutons"
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add the chopped onion, carrot, celery and garlic, cover and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir over low heat for 1 minute, or until the flour is fully incorporated.
- Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, red peppers, tomato paste and sugar and bring to a boil. Cover partially and cook the soup over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 15 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Return the puree to the saucepan, add the half and half and cook until the soup is just heated through. (This is a good time to make the grilled cheese.)
- Season the soup with salt and pepper, garnish with croutons, and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 345Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 799mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 3gSugar: 11gProtein: 12g